Newbie to aquarium hobby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz76

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
Hello everyone!!! For christmas my sister gave me a Betta with a 2.5 gallon start up tank and conditioned water. Sadly to say my fish died three days after I brought him home. This event made me look into the proper way of keeping a fish tank. I've purchased a few books (Your Happy Healthy Pet Betta & Aquarium Plants) and have done some research online. This has all lead me to purchase a 20 gallon tank and I plan to have live plants. I want to purchase another Betta but I am going to need some help. I'm not sure what the proper filter would be for this kind of tank. I've purchased a submersible heater, digital thermometer, plant food tabs, CO2 system for my future plants, along with substrate, and lighting. I'm still not sure if I need any type of aeration device (maybe a whisper 20). Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Once I have my plant system going I will look into getting a community tank thriving with my Betta.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Welcome to A.C. It sounds like you are really on the right track with your set-up. Many of us had a rocky start with fishkeeping and learned and grew.

Try posting the question in the planted tank forum and see what you get answer wise. I don't run CO2 on my planted tanks yet, so I don't want to give the wrong advice but there are some absolute pro's who can help.

It's great to have you with us!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Welcome! Have fun! That's the most important thing. Setting up your plants and Co2 can be a nice distraction while your tank cycles :) Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store