newbie to this hobby...20 gallon freshwater planted tank questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz76

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
Hi everyone...I'm trying to start a planted 20 gallon tank. Right now I have a submersible heater, Co2 system, substrate, plant food, HE double T5 lighting system, and a digital thermometer. After I add the plants and everything is thriving I will introduce a Male Betta to my tank and a couple of other fishes. My questions are:
What would be an ideal filter for my tank with plants and a Betta? Do I need some type of aeration system for the evenings?

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
There's no shortage of answers to your question. I personally don't use surface agitation at night, but I do my water changes every other evening, so oxygen isn't a problem for me...honestly it's probably because I don't have a CO2 setup, I'm trying to keep CO2 in the water. Since you have CO2 then yes a bubbler is a good idea, your fish and plants will thank you for it. If you use a hang-off-the-back filter it won't be necessary.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
Go canister filter or internal filter, no point putting co2 in and loosing most of it with a hang-on filter, plants will provide oxygen. i asked the bubbler question use at night some time ago and i got a 50/50 responce, went with no oxygen at night tank was larger though) and fish were fine , water c hanges are important though.

Liz76

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. I will definitely keep up with my water changes. I'll try to do a bit more research on whether to use a canister or hang-off-the-back filter. I'll think about the shrimp because I've read that depending on the personality of the Betta, he may attack and eat the them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store