Newbie with a sick betta in a new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rick-o

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
N E Arkansas
Hi, all.

I'm new to the forum and new to fish keeping. I've had my first aquarium just over 24 hrs. now. Here's my story.

My daughter came home from college a couple of weeks ago with a royal blue betta in a small 1/2 gallon fishbowl. Her roommate moved back home and abandoned it. The betta looked just pitiful.

We started studying everthing we could find on the internet and started trying to do right by "Fysh" (the betta's name). We cleaned the gravel and began changing out about 30 to 40% of the water each week. We thought maybe the Fysh was a female because it didn't have the big fancy fins and bright color as the ones we saw online and at the stores. However, now I think the fins may have just rotted off. The two bottom hangy-down ones are just stringy and ragged. The tail stays flopped down to one side most of the time. The top fin never moves and just looks like a spike pointing backwards.

Then, to make matters worse, about 5 days ago we noticed something growing on both sides of Fysh, back a little past half way of his length. It is white-ish and fluffy.

Well, we finally went out to Wal Mart yesterday and bought a 10 gallon aquarium kit for Fysh. The nice lady at the store has been there for years and was very helpful with suggestions and advise. She told us that the growths were most likely fungus.

Here is what we got and what we've done so far. The tank is 10 gallon glass. It came with filter but we are not using the charcoal element since it would remove the medications from the water. We don't have a heater but the temperature has stabalized at about 76 degrees (in the green zone of the thermometer). We treated the water going into the new tank with Aqua Safe (it was in the kit), 2 rounded tablespoons of aquarium salt, and one fizzy tablet of Fungus Clear. We've also started a treatment of one teaspoon of Melafix once a day for 7 days. After 4 days we are supposed to change out 25% of the water and put in another tablet of the Fungus Clear.

I was a little hesitant to use the filter since Fysh seemed so sick and lethargic and was not used to having to deal with a current. My wife didn't agree and seemed to think Fysh needed the exercise; so we turned on the filter. As far as food and feeding, Fysh sucks in the little betta pellets we got him but immediately spits them back out. I've gotten him to eat a few betta flakes, the same food he had in the fishbowl.
Now we are just waiting to see what happens. I just added the second day's treatment of Melafix. Fysh is moving about pretty well but spends a lot of time hiding in his castle ornament. I'm still concerned that he is looking for a place with no current.

That's my story. We've adopted this orphan betta and would welcome any advise from the experts.

Oh, and about me. I'm an engineer. We have a dog, a cat and now a sick fish.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Hey man and welcome.its only been 4 months And a betta was my first fish too in a little 1 and half gallon aquarium. and now i have a 20 gal. a 10 gal for my original betta bacchus, and a 14 gal saltwater reef tank. I wanna start off by saying its VERY addicting to keep fish and most people here will tell you that. once you see something you like, theres always something youll like more lol so watch out. also im 18 about to go to college and broke, spending money on tanks isnt smart!

ON TO YOUR TANK, alot of people will disagree with putting salt into aqauriums, but i guess it would help with a disease maybe?. I hope you went through the nitrogen cycle which could take anywhere from a week to a month (took a month in my 10 gal hex) before you put fysh into it. If you didnt, it will only add to his disease, the stress in the tank will go way up and he will exposed to varying conditions (even if bettas are hardy fish a sick one will not do well in the cycle). I dont know anything about medications so i cant help you there unless you post a picture (someone who knows alot more then me will ID the disease)

The current in the tank is all another oppinion, if you knotice your betta is avoding where the filter water hits it might be to high, but leaving it on while its sick isnt very good for the guy it will again just add to the stress. A healthy betta might prosper from a little bit of a current and will actually get stronger. Live plants are good in any tank and one like anacharis will grow liek crazy even in little light.

Post a pick of him and again welcome, sorry if i made you read all that for nothing!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
O yea get a testing kit especially if you have an 10 gal. And if you can see what your bettas personaility is like. Try adding some neon tetras in a month or so to see if hes a freindlier betta. if he goes for them like crazy i would advise to take them out! (your betta could be a female though so i guess wed have to see a picture)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Hi! Welcome to AC! I'll bet that little Betta is really glad to have a 10 gallon and someone to look after her/him. I'm a goldie person myself, but here is a link to a past post about using Melafix with Bettas. You might find it interesting. Good luck with the little guy. I'm sure that one of the Betta gurus will chime in to give you good advice.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196473&highlight=melafix+bettas

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Try to keep your ammonia at 0 your nitrites at 0 and your nitrates below 40ppm. if they go higher its time for a water change, which should be done atleast once a week if you can! if your getting nitrites and random ammonia spikes your tank probably isnt cycled. API has a good freshwater testing kit that cost about 25 bucks

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Welcome to AC! I agree with Conski that you may want to buy a test kit.

Here's a link to an article on cycling: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

Basically, fish produce ammonia as a waste product. Certain bacteria consume this ammonia and produce nitrite as a waste product. Other bacteria consume nitrite and produce nitrate as a waste product. You control the nitrate levels by doing water changes.

In a cycled tank, the ammonia and nitrite will levels will always read 0, and the nitrate can be kept under 20 with adequate water changes. But in a new tank, which is not cycled, the ammonia and nitrite levels will rise quickly. Any measurable ammonia or nitrite is toxic for a fish, and this could have led to the fungus and fin rot that you're now observing.

FYI, most "fungus" is actually a bacterial infection. But that's ok, since Jungle fungus tabs contain anti-bacterial/antiobiotic medications, not anti-fungal ones (despite what the name might suggest :))

As Conski pointed out, your tank may not be cycled. But, if you have a test kit, then you can keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels. You should perform a water change anytime the levels rise to 0.25. I recommend buying liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at the least. API is a good brand. Just don't get the paper test strips--they are cheap but inaccurate.

Until your tank cycles, you may need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite in check--again, having the tests can help you decide whether it needs to be that often or not. A single betta will not produce too much waste, so the cycling stage may be manageable.

Hope this helps! You definitely did the right thing by upgrading your betta to a 10 gallon. He will adjust to the filter flow in time (my betta's in a 20g with a filter rated for a 40g, and he has no problems with flow). Clean water is probably the best thing for him right now.

Rick-o

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
N E Arkansas
Thanks for the reply. I read the article about MelaFix. The more I read, the more I don't know what to believe or who to trust. I got two opinions, both favorable, about using MelaFix before I started the treatment. Now this article says it is a bad thing. What to do?

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Probably the Jungle that you're already using will do the trick, since, as LeahK pointed out, it contains both antibacterial and antifungal agents. I use Melafix for minor abrasions and infections on goldfish often, but then again, they aren't the same kind of fish as Betas. You've gotten good advice-- whatever you try to do will probably benefit the health of the Betta.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I read the article about MelaFix. The more I read, the more I don't know what to believe or who to trust.
This issue is confusing--you're not the only one who feels this way. Supposedly Melafix is dangerous for labyrinthine fish such as bettas and gouramis because it coats their labyrinth organs and prevents them from breathing.
But this is confusing because bettas rely mainly on their gills, not their labyrinth organs.
Nonetheless, the anecdotal evidence I found online--people telling stories of how either Melafix or Bettafix killed their fish--was enough to scare me off of using it.
It's probably better to use one med at a time anyway. I'd stick with the Jungle tabs and see how that goes. When I thought one of my barbs had fin rot, and researched meds online, and Jungle tabs was one of the most highly recommended. And since that fuzz is probably bacterial in nature and related to the fin rot, the Jungle tabs are probably the best choice.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Hope the betta pulls thru for you!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store