Nice Balmy Evening in Cheyenne, Wyoming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Good Evening,

Current weather in Cheyenne this evening is a balmy -7 degrees F, with winds from the NNW dropping that to a blistering -23. ⛱ Residents are advised to sit back, chill with their favorite beverages and enjoy a classic Sci-Fi original movie. The masterpiece "Pirahnaconda", my personal favorite, is showing on Amazon Prime with flexible show times.

And that's the way it is, on this Saturday, February thirteenth, two thousand twenty-one. ;)

WYite

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's been unseasonably cold in the Buffalo NY area as well, but it rarely gets Wyoming cold! Still a foot or two of snow on the ground and more to come tonight or tomorrow. Kind of glad I'm not scheduled back to work until Tues night.

Reactions: Wyomingite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It's been unseasonably cold in the Buffalo NY area as well, but it rarely gets Wyoming cold! Still a foot or two of snow on the ground and more to come tonight or tomorrow. Kind of glad I'm not scheduled back to work until Tues night.
?

It's been unseasonably warm here so far. I don't miss night shifts. After 29 years, I was layed off in September. Due to health problems I'm unemployable, but my old employer made accommodations that no new employer will make. So I'm essentially retired.

WYite

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
?

It's been unseasonably warm here so far. I don't miss night shifts. After 29 years, I was layed off in September. Due to health problems I'm unemployable, but my old employer made accommodations that no new employer will make. So I'm essentially retired.

WYite
Sorry about the health issues, but congrats on the retirement! Hopefully I can keep on for another 10yrs and retire at 60. From a career type job that is.

Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I don’t know how you do it. I’m originally from NY but live in SC. I complain when it’s below freezing. I’d move if it was possible to have neg wind chill.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Sorry about the health issues, but congrats on the retirement! Hopefully I can keep on for another 10yrs and retire at 60. From a career type job that is.
I wanted to work another eight years until I was 60. I have acquired a very specific, specialized skill set in Process Safety the past seven years, so I knew when I was layed off that I'd either hit it perfect and have someone bending over backwards to pick me up or I'd just be outta luck. It's been the latter and the landscape in that field is looking to be flat for quite a while moving forward. I'm just grateful that I'm in a position where I can retire. Not many folks my age can do that nowadays.

I don’t know how you do it. I’m originally from NY but live in SC. I complain when it’s below freezing. I’d move if it was possible to have neg wind chill.
With a name like IceH2O I'd think you'd love the cold! ? It's -11 with a -26 wind chill right now, only going to get colder. The high tomorrow is supposed to be -5.

The coldest I've ever seen it in Cheyenne is -27 with a -70 wind chill factor. I worked at an oil refinery and the boilers that keep everything warm and running shut down, freezing the entire plant up solid. All the steam lines condensed and turned to ice almost instantly, asphalt lines turned to rock, and even the lighter liquid products like crude oil and diesel became so sluggish and thick that they couldn't be pumped. The next day corporate down in Houston called and said that they'd like us to be starting the plant up in 30 days and making product within 40. We had the entire place thawed and running at full capacity in 10. Silly Texans! ?

WYite

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
There are two sides to every coin. I have been in Phoenix in the middle of the summer, I have been in Texas in the summer as well. However, when it comes to heat, the worst I have experienced was in the summer of 1978. I had taken a job with a conctruction company in Saudi Arabia and it was my first summer there. At that time I was living and working on the east coast on the Gulf side of the country.

I got handed the job of doing the punch list for a project mostly done before I arrived in country. I needed to use the entire staff of the site I ran to get this work done. I had cooks, office staff and anybody else I could grab having to do a lot of manual labor oustside in mid summer. I also knew that I could not expect my people all to be working outside in this heat and then not do so myself.

I set up a table, which served as my office, in the parking lot of the power sub-station involved. It was a covered lot, but that was it, just a roof to make shade. I happened to have a thermometer which I set on the table. It took three days to finish everything on the punch list. I recorded a high temp. over those three days in the shade of 130, 129 and 130 F (54.44C).

You do not appear to sweat in those temps. You do, but the sweat evaporates as it comes out, so you never see it....
You could not leave your key in your car's ignition, if you did you'd get 2nd degree burns if you tried to start the car.
At 6:30 a.m. when I left to go to work, I had to open the car doors (using a rag in my hand), reach inside with my key and start the engine (the AC was always turned on to full). After a couple of minutes, I closed the doors and about 5 minutes later I could get in and drive to work.

There is a saying there. "If I inherited a house in Saudi and a house in hell, I would rent out he house in Saudi and live in the house in hell."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store