NitrItes in my Tap Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Nitrites or nitrates in your tap water is not good.
Adults can consume large quantities with no serious affects, but babies and toddlers are at risk. If you have either, please have the health department test your water. There may be other factors involved.

hope4peace

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
White Mountains of NH
Real Name
Amanda
I am aware of the risk. This is well water however, so the only people can contact is my landlord. I did warn my neighbors who share the well with us about the problem since the girl is pregnant. Next time my landlord stops by I plan on discussing the situation with her. They have the water tested yearly, but that does not account for things like this. I have had problems with well water in the past. At my mothers house once after checking on the well someone didnt put the cover back on fully. a few months later when someone was checking on it, there was a rat so badly decomposed that he turned to mush when we tried to remove it. We were lucky we didnt die or at least get very ill. Although we dont drink it straight, we did use the water for bathing, cooking and coffee. It took almost a week of running bleach through the system and then another week for the bleach to get flushed out before the water was safe again.

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
My tap water has nitrite nitrates and ammonia in it.And it varies how much there is from month to month.I don't drink it plus i had to get a dechlorinator that removes all of those.
I knew fish could be harmed by it but never gave it a thought about human consumption.
I tested my tap water a few days ago and the params were ammonia .50,nitrate 10,nitrite .25.
So should i be contacting someone or are those levels kinda normal?

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
yea its public water unfortunatly.From january till now the ph went from 6.2 to 7.4.The tap water tastes like crap.The reason i started testing it was i was having a nitrate issue in a fully cycled tank.So i checked the tap water and what a surprise.Thats when i found out about the ammonia and the rest.

So who would i tell?Would i call the city or the water department?

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa
Information about what's in your tap water and whether it meets Federal guidelines is freely available online to US residents. Just type in your zipcode and select your water company here:

http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/whats-in-yourwater
i just went on that link and wow my tap water is really not that good And nirtates are listed as one of the chemicals in the water.

Thanks again for the link.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
You're welcome, redbull. Kinda scary, isn't it? National Average is 8 chemical pollutants. Mine has 14, including arsenic and radium. Nitrate is 6.16 ppm, but the legal limit is 10 ppm, so I'm good. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store