Nitrogen Deficiency

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
methinks it's time to make a reference solution and test that.

OH .... then you're going to have to point me in the direction of some reference material on that.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
seachem said:
To target a specific nitrogen increase, dose according to the following formula: 0.25vn=m, where v= volume of tank in gallons*, n=desired nitrogen increase (if using a “nitrate equivalent” value for “n” then use a factor of 0.05 instead of 0.25 in the formula) and m=volume of product to use in mL. For example to raise 20 gallons* by 0.20 mg/L nitrogen you would use: 0.25*20*0.20=1 mL.
here... http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishNitrogen.html

sooo... .05 X 1 gallon X 20ppm = 1ml

that tells me that adding 1ml to a gallon of water should increase the nitrate by 20 ppm. starting with distilled water SHOULD give you exactly that.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
a reading... a correct reading... how far the reading is off...

basically, yeah. doesn't have to be a bucket, though. could be a cup, vial, measuring cup, graduated cylinder... for smaller volumes, you'd have to work out the math... but you have the basics to do so now.

for example... say i only wanted to waste a cup of water instead of a gallon...

there's 16 cups in a gallon... so i'd have to divide my 1ml of nitrogen 16 ways and only use one of them to make a cup of test solution. with a 20ml graduated cylinder and an eye dropper this can be done... add your 1ml nitrogen and water to the cylinder to make 16ml... shake... then use the eye dropper to remove 1ml of that solution (the remainder in the cylinder should now read 15ml at the bottom of the meniscus)... empty the contents of the eye dropper into a measured cup of water, stir and test.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
just a side note... 5 ml of flourish nitrogen is only adding ~1.8ppm nitrates to your 55. not very likely to show up on a test kit either way. especially if the plants have their way about it. might want to double dose for a while once you confirm your test kit works.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
just a side note... 5 ml of flourish nitrogen is only adding ~1.8ppm nitrates to your 55. not very likely to show up on a test kit either way. especially if the plants have their way about it. might want to double dose for a while once you confirm your test kit works.

This is exactly my thinking. I will do a 1 gallon bucket to make it easier, LOL.

THANKS again....can't wait to get into the dry ferts.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
My rational has been after making reference solutions to test and the test, the cost and labor involved, as well as the motivation to test and measure in the first place, it is just easier to do a large water change and dose back, making a "reference solution" for most of the tank that way.

I'm happier, tank is happier.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Ok guys I did a test solution, 1 gallon bucket and a cap ful... I know a waste but I got results. Then tested the tank and finally got results 5ppm. So I am assuming another capful wouldn't hurt, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store