No luck finding variatus platies locally

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I've been looking for some for 3 or 4 months with no success. I've even had two different stores one lfs and petco put some on their orders for me and they get none in.

Back when I had a fish that would have just considered them lunch I saw some, but now that I have space for them they are not to be found.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Figures, I hate when that happens. Pretty sure I don't have any locally either.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yay, found some today finally. Only been three months looking for them. I'd take some pictures but my tank has an embarrassing amount of algae. And they need to settle in, they are still a bit wary of everything going on at this point.

Reactions: OrionGirl

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yay! But I will need pictures to believe it. ;) I just saw these Redtail Black Variatus yesterday and almost posted it here for you.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Patience is it's own reward! Congrats!

Our first platy was a variatus, nice fish! We are going to need pics! When you, they & your tank are ready, we don't need any excuses, lol.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Funny you would post those red tuxedo variatus, the last time I saw any all they had left were a few that looked a lot like those. I passed them up three months ago, because I wanted some color other than the black of the tuxedos. When the fish are not hiding most of the time I'll try to take some pictures.

the tank isn't pretty though, I have cyano, hair, and green spot algae issues, and the plants are not growing well.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know we don't care about pretty tanks so much as pics, lol. I "think" ours was blue & black but it's been almost 40 years, that may be a different fish all together I'm remembering. now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store