"No Salt" for potassium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DUCKEEL

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
It says on the box it has 3g ammonium per 100g and 39g of potassium per 100g,so I guess its not much compared to the potassium amount.

I don't think that you have to worry about your salt expiring!
But wouldnt the contents/values in the salt not be the same anymore when it has expired?
I was thinking maybe the potassium may no longer be there?

Im just assuming off course I know nothing about these stuff :confused:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
So, it's 3% ammonium. I think that since you're using exceptionally small amounts, it's not something that you can't handle. Like I said, your nitrifiers are dealing with ammonia all the time.

They likely mean that it's 39g of K per 100g solid. 52% of the mass of KCl is K, so 39g of K is equivalent to 75g of KCl. Seems a little low, if you can find something that is more pure, it may be worth it, just to get more bang for your buck, so to speak.

As for the expiry date, don't worry about it. KCl isn't going anywhere. It melts at 775oC and doesn't boil 'till about 1500oC, so you needn't worry about it evaporating. It will absorb water over time, so yes, technically the proportions of things will decrease as water increases, but the same compounds will still be present. It's just that since the amount of water has increased, there will be less KCl per gram than before.

That's interesting though, I just checked what I've got, "NoSalt", Ingredients: KCl, potassium bitartrate, adipic acid, fumaric acid, silicon dioxide (sand), and mineral oil. No ammonium.

Also, it's 96% KCl (650mg K per 1.3g serving).

I were I you, I would be tempted to find something more pure. But I don't think that you need be concerned about health, it's just easier to dose if you can assume purity.

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Originally posted by happychem
That's interesting though, I just checked what I've got, "NoSalt", Ingredients: KCl, potassium bitartrate, adipic acid, fumaric acid, silicon dioxide (sand), and mineral oil. No ammonium.
Mine's exactly the same. I think I remember checking some MSDS before using it, but I wasn't really concerned.

I also wouldn't worry about the expiry date, use it up since you already have it. It should last you pretty long. In the mean time, you can look for something better if you really want, but start dosing this now, your plants probably need it. I've been tempted to snatch some pure KCl from work, but this NoSalt looks like it'll last me a few years as it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store