Non-HO tube in fixture with HO ballast?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
I have a Glo T5 fixture whose bulbs have just burned out. I will be switching from fluorescent to LED and have found plug-and-play retrofit bulbs I can use in the fixture. They come in both HO and non-HO. The fixture has a HO ballast. I am thinking of switching to non-HO bulbs to tone down the brightness a bit as this fixture is now over a 10-gallon tank that will house a betta. The fixture uses 2 bulbs. I cannot just use one bulb, as two are required for the fixture to light up. Will using non-HO bulbs with HO ballast be okay?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would honestly replace the whole thing with a cheap aquarium LED fixture rather than using something designed for general use retrofitted into an aquarium fixture.

give yourself the color control and the dimmability you can get with a dedicated fixture

and no.. I would not try using a fixture designed for less power in a fixture that provides twice as much.

replacing the ballast so it works as expected, and isn;t a fire hazard over a box of water will make it less plug-and-play.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Welp, nevermind! Just answered my own question by reading the product page more carefully, and it specifically states you cannot put the non-HO tube in a HO fixture. Duh! Anyway, yeah, I could just replace the whole thing, but I REALLY like the fixture and it how it fits over the tank. I'll probably end up gutting it and installing an American Aquarium Products AquaRay like I did the other one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are going to retrofit, I would make sure that enough air will circulate to let the LEDs cool.

But the reflector is going to be useless with LED lighting, so you are making the fixture 4 or 5 times taller than it needs to be, I'd look for one of the generic chinese finnex-type fixtures on eBay or wherever, or use something like the Fluval V3 or such, I think most come in an 18 or 20" fixture to fit correctly.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
If you are going to retrofit, I would make sure that enough air will circulate to let the LEDs cool.

But the reflector is going to be useless with LED lighting, so you are making the fixture 4 or 5 times taller than it needs to be, I'd look for one of the generic chinese finnex-type fixtures on eBay or wherever, or use something like the Fluval V3 or such, I think most come in an 18 or 20" fixture to fit correctly.
I have seen Finnex recommended by many. I guess I'm old school and having trouble letting go of the fluorescent fixture way of doing things. I will check out Finnex.

Reactions: dougall

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Spend some time and look around..

Power won't be as much of an issue as how the color appears, there's a huge range of variety... Just take a look of folks posting photos with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store