Not a newbie, but re-entering the hobby after 10 years away...this is my first post coming back and now I need your help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
I sure could use your help folks. I'm in an interesting situation...I used to be here a long, long time ago, posted as "Mr.Fish" back then...then I moved overseas and left the hobby for 10 years. Now I am back and had the chance to take a tank off a friend, so I am getting back "in". I missed the hobby so very much but was not in a position to have a tank until now.

Wow did I miss a lot. Just to name a few:

- Aquascaping (I love Amano, Farmer
- Lighting
- Substrate complexity
- Cycling methods
- Filter, sump and heating technologies
- Crazy new fish being offered, other "old standbys" seem to be hard to find now

I would say I am a fairly advanced aquarist (enough so my son has learned and taken it up as a profession for some of the largest aquariums in the world).

Luckily, I had all my filters, exotic rock, wood, etc... in storage. No tanks though. The only lighting that remains is my High Intensity for one of my old 135's which will not fit my new tank. Also, lost all my aquarium reference materials in a divorce too.

Here's how I need your help. I am going to build up a very natural tank (geographic focus undetermined yet but not necessarilly a biotope), freshwater plants...tank size is unknown, but probably based on width a 40 or 45.

1) New Reference Materials: What would be the top five reference books you'd get to cover freshwater aquaria? I definitely will get an updated Axelrod's Atlas and his book on freshwater fish diseases, but what others? For plants?
2) Lighting: I am going to go LED, but know few of these brands - I am searching the site now, but what should I consider when buying LED lighting?
3) Supplies: I am looking for recommendations on a master test kit that covers, at a minimum NH3, NO2, NO3 and would prefer hardness/pH and more mineral/metal testing if possible
4) Heating: I don't want to use my old heaters...any recommendations here?
5) Online Stores: For both plants and fish. I've seen some really radical differences in pricing out there....some ridiculously overpriced....any recommendations?
6) Anything else you'd recommend to someone getting back into the hobby?

I know I could find all this out by searching through the site (and I will), but I also know the regulars here know the really good posts and probably have a thing or two to say about the five topics above. Please help me save hours of time because I am picking up my tank this coming weekend and hope to start scaping it, planting it and cycling it.

Thank you in advance,

Mr.RoadWarrior

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
For the most part I would skip books,

Get a subscription to Amazonas, join a local aquarium society, go from there.

Personally, I'm more a plant guy, I'm a fan of Sunken Guardens by Randall, and Kasselman's latest, but it's in German.

Before you pick lighting, pick the size of tank, and the needs... Get something whose color appeals to you, and that outputs more lumens or PAR than you think you need but is dimmable.

For a test kit, don't follow the crowd telling you to go with API, they are good for testing nitrogen compounds and pH. Go with JBL or Sera master kits, or salifert, or such.

If just one tank, keep a steady room temperature and stick with livestock that work at that temperature. If you have to heat, use a titanium heater with an external thermostat.

I'm a huge fan of han aquatics and the wet spot for plants and animals respectively.. but stick local if you can.

As a tip, try to get in touch with folks in person, not just online... And enjoy yourself.. it's a hobby, not a sentence

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
Good stuff Dougall, thanks...tank size is what I'll be given and I'm pretty sure it's a 40...will have it this weekend if all goes to plan.

I will check out both the brands and the aquarists/scapers you mention too.

Will definitely need to use heat...I'm a big fan of multiple heaters for backup purposes after losing large 135 full of breeding Severum...

I will start small with just this 40, probably a limited community tank - I'm a former breeder of Gouramis, cichlids, angelfish and generally I like that well-established, near-jungle, well-seasoned tank look.

Definitely will try to stay local and if anyone knows good places in the Houston area, I would love to hear about it... Sadly, the shops I've visited so far are either complete low-end crap or pompously and outrageously overpriced.... I am not originally from here and all my connections are in either Pittsburgh or Detroit or overseas.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You're in Houston but want multiple heaters?

I'd be very careful with Leds... avoid anything that has no Lumen, Watt, Kelvin, CRI rating. You just don't know what you are dealing with, and many Led manufacturers are witholding these specifications cause they can't compete with T8/T5 fluorescents.

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
Yes, agree..Im looking at only PAR rated, 6500k+ would prefer programmable. So far, Im liking the Fluval PLANT but havent seen it in the length i need.

And yes, I want no variance in my tanks.... plus my wife likes to occasionally blast the AC..lol

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm using a Fluval Plant V3 (the blootooth one) in 3 feet and I like it. I'm don't like the color from it as much as I do the later Finnex RGB lights (planted+ 24/7 and later)

when it comes to lighting, know what all the acronyms and terminology mean, and what they will do for you, and how many are useful. For what it's worth, I'm aware of maybe 1 professional aquascaper who sometimes uses florescent lights. Everyone else has gone to LEDs entirely. You mentioned Amano, ADA are pretty much Halide and LED at this point.

for a club, check the Greater Houston Aquarium Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/417234375283499/ - I expect you should be able to find some information there. even if you don't join or interact.

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
OK, here's the update.

Bad news is
1) the tank was only a 30 gallon, but it's in great shape and I'm going with it as a startup tank. Later it will become a breeder tank or hospital tank.
2) I already chucked the cheap hood and the Aqueon fixture needs a new T8, also needs new top glass cover. I'll keep the two HOB Aqueon's that came with it, but not going to use them.

Good news is
1) Found my old equipment and have some awesome heaters, a Fluval FX5, a 404 and a 304 and all my custom intakes/outflows. I'm going to go oversized and use the 404 just for the experience of reconditioning it...if the flow rate is too high, I'll switch to the 304 or customize the outflow. I am doing the reconditioning, but so far, everything looks perfect.
2) Found my ballast and fixtures for my CoraLife 4x65w HO....unfortunately it fits a 135 long, not my itty bitty 30...I"m still happy...email into CoraLife on whether they have shorter fixtures, but probably even one lamp would be murder on a 30.
3) Bunch of accessories, hoses, my python (needs new tubing though)
4) Found a large rock, don't know the type, but it's very cratered and will make an excellent centerpiece...as soon as I'm ok to post pics, I'll put one up.
5) LEDs will be here Friday. I went on the cheaper side to start with the NiCrew RGB LED programmable, dimmable... someone recommended it and I'll hold judgment until I can review...it was cheap enough to get me started and I can replace it later after I do better due diligence (and find a darn Fluval BT version in 30 or a small fixture for that CoraLife)
6) The recommendations you've provided are very solid, thank you... I am working up designs now based on availability

I am VERY EXCITED to be back in this hobby, like a kid at Christmas (except I'm 60). Loving every minute so far, catching up on things...I forgot how much I had learned over the years, it is coming back.

Today's plan:
- today, stop at a couple LFS to check plant stock and get substrate and a few extras....
- Tank clean and test
- Fluval 404 recon and test
- Heaters test
- Tank scaping and conditioning
- Planting tonight if all goes according to plan.

More to come...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome back to our hobby! Your plan looks good to me as far as I've used some of your equipment. What size is your 30g?

In SF bay CA, I don't heat my tanks. & your 404 might be overkill but maybe with a spray bar...I use 1 with the "jet" on a 75g with a HOB. It'll depend on your fish choices too

Will you upgrade to co2? I haven't yet (but I have the stuff). That will make a big difference in what plants you can grow well especially in the Amano style. I'd suggest getting a grip on the plants you want & then finding fish that fit your conditions. OR you can choose fish & make the tank fit them. I like plants, but I'm still all about the fish. I'm very into loaches & bottom feeders. What fish are you most interested in keeping? What plants?

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
I am kind of OCD about temp flux...tend to run 2 heaters at a time just in case, but then again that was when I was living back in SW PA where winters were nasty.

So far, the 404 is fine....not too must current and I've arranged the flow so it has to serpentine around a large rock, so it slows down quite a bit.

To answer your question, yes, CO2, but not yet. I don't want to introduce complexity to the environment too fast. My lights will be plenty to keep the plants going until I can improve chemistry.

Plants are in and include:

Sag subulata
Microsorum, regular and narrow leaf
Ludwigia sp TBD (all green, small round leaf, still researching)
Crypts: wendtii, lutea
Also, I grabbed something that is a Cardamine, looks like lyrata - it is beautiful and while I know that a tropical tank may be at the high range of it's preference, it was thriving in a tropical tank and was cheap, so I'm taking a chance on it.

Only issues so far:

1) I'm getting a heavy positive on my tap water for ammonia - it's city water and I'm guessing it's a false positive, but tracking root cause down now as I'm not finished with the rest of my water tests.
2) Most of my rubber components that were stored in boxes and not sealed up are oxidized. Thank god the Fluval parts are all good, they were sealed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you have a "real" plumbing supply near you ( not Lowe's or HD IME) they can often help with O ring replacements. Take the parts with you & let them size them.

As for ammonia, many water cos. use chloramine anymore so it will test positive for it. If you have lots of plants &/or use Prime dechlor you should be ok unless you add lots of fish at once. You can dose Prime every 24-48 hours to keep ammonia in the "safe" form. Big water changes help too. Most plants actually prefer ammonia as a food source, if not too high but you need a lot of plants

I'm not sure I've had cardamine but it's worth a try. I belong to a plant club so I've tried many plants for free; some grow well , others don't. You should check out a local club like dougall suggested. Even if it's a bit of a drive, it's worth a trip once in a while.They'll likely have plants used to your water conditions & clubs are fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store