Not new to tanks, but new to doing it right the first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Fafa

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
And hoo boy, talk about information overload.

That being said. I am aware of the basics, inch per gallon, proper cycling, etc. What I am not clear on and where I need help is the best equipment for the job. I'm most interested in keeping maintenance low, obviously I can't make it self sustaining.

I have a 40G breeder that I received for free. I'm going to pick up basically everything, from lights to filter, to whatever else is needed. My current thoughts are a pair of HOB filters for redundancy. Should I stick with an appropriate sized filter or go bigger, get one for a 55 or 60 g tank? Or should I go with a canister? I've never used one before and have no frame of reference for requirements or if they're better or not.

Second, are live plants worth it? I think I'd like them, but I have two problems.
One, should I start with live plants having never maintained them or should (or can) I wait until after the tank has been going for a bit?
Two, are all aquatic plants essentially weeds or do some grow slow enough to be eaten and should I get plants that the fish will eat?

Not worried about lights as I will get a single flourescent without plants or twin with.

And this seems like a silly question, but how much gravel should I use? Enough for two inches alone or three with plants?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Decide on your stocking and go from there on all of your questions.

Two HOBs would suffice on a 40 breeder, though I would opt for a canister. Always go bigger on any filter. Rated capacity, gpm, is usually at best 1/2 of the advertised rate. Shoot for 6-10 times tank volume turnover per hour.

Canisters will give you more media options, IMO, and fewer cleanings. HOBs are quick to clean if that is a desire of yours.

I would establish the tank and start with low light hardy plants, if compatible with your stock.

Reactions: fishorama

The Fafa

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
I was thinking mainly Gourami's and platies as I had good luck with those in the past as they're fairly resilient fish and most are pretty to look at too. And a pleco for cleaning.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
HOB vs canister usually comes down to personal preference, after the facts anyway. HOB are easy to clean but require cleaning more often. Canisters give you more media room but are harder to clean. I prefer canisters cause they are quieter, more media, typically more flow and adjustable flow.

Live plants worth it? That depends on whether you are one of the lucky ones that just throws some plants in and the thrive or not. A lot of people of lucky enough to fall into that category when using easy low light plants. I am not one of them but I still find they are worth the effort. They make the fish happy and for me it's the only way I like my tank to look. Easiest plants are supposed to be anubias, java fern, bolbitis, wisteria, buce, crypts. They are all low light and the first 3 can even be grow in the lowest lighting conditions. So give them a try.

If you aren't doing plants use as little gravel as YOU need visually. If doing plants 2-3in is usually good.

The Fafa

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
SO I went with an EHEIM easy 80 canister, 40 pounds of plant substrate and 20 of just gravel. Planning for plants, just down the road.
New question. Recommended fish for cycling purposes?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
New question. Recommended fish for cycling purposes?
Do you know anyone with a healthy established tank? If you could get some of the bio media from their filter and place it in your filter, you could stock your tank immediately and be good to go.

If your only choices are fish-less or fish-in cycling, I'd go with a fish you intend to keep. I've used zebra danios for 'fish-in' cycling. Get your master test kit, a good dechlorinator and be ready for water changes often.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Me, I'm a 2 filter user on all tanks 20+g. It allows a thorough cleaning without disrupting the beneficial bacteria too much. Canisters are nice but, as everyone has said, more of a PITA to clean than HOBs. No hurry to add a second filter but...

Platys are quite sturdy & "should" survive a "fish in" cycling if you're diligent about testing & water changes as needed (maybe daily or so). What species of gourami?

Rather than just any pleco, I'd recommend a bristle nose for your tank size. Many get BIG! too big for your tank.

IME there are no easier plants than java fern & anubias tied to wood or rocks, any light works for them, even quite low. What do you have for lighting? What do you want for plants? I love crypts of all kinds...mosses are easy but a bit messy.

The Fafa

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2016
Do you know anyone with a healthy established tank? If you could get some of the bio media from their filter and place it in your filter, you could stock your tank immediately and be good to go.
I do not and did not realize you could. Saving that for future tanks.

I'm using the canister because it is a long break inbetween cleanings and this is currently my proof I can do this right and keep these animals alive. When I get closer I might add a HOB strictly as my backup.

I was looking at the Dwarf Gourami initially. and I plan on doing daily testing and changes for the first 6 weeks or however long the cycle takes.

The bristle nose was my recommendation from the aquarium store, but he also recommended a tiny cleaner fish that is best with 4 or 5 of them and the name escapes me at the moment.

My lighting is super basic LED at the moment, I did not get one with a proper wavelength from growing. It came with the tank so I didn't have to buy it. I will upgrade to a true grow light when I get there though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store