Not your average cycle question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Hey Guys,

I'll try to explain the situation quickly. I have a 36gal tank that's cycling on it's own due to it's previous occupants, MT snails. When I shut down my tank almost two years prior, hundreds upon hundreds died in the sand as it dried up. Now that water had been re-added, the ammonia started to spike and the tank started to cycle on its own.

There are currently only plants in the tank, but at this point, the nitrites are off the scale (or near the high end of the API liquid test kit range). I do have a tank (20g long with 3 harlequin rasboras, 10 neon tetras, and 1 betta) that has had an established bacteria colony for well over a year.

Here is where my question is. If its possible, and the LFS has the fish I like, I would like to add fish tonight. Should I do a massive water change and then add some of the filter media from my established tank? Do I even need to do a water change? I would assume that even with the established media, and with the nitrites being that high, that it would do damage to the fish faster than the bacteria could get rid of it.

Just need some more experienced opinions on the matter. Though I want to clarify that there is no rush for me to get fish, I was just curious if it could be done.

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
If you absolutely must add fish to the tank, which is clearly still cycling, just make sure you've got the time and motivation to do daily water changes (20% - 50%) and are prepared (aka have enough supplies) to test your water params daily. Adding the established filter media from an already cycled tank to your now cycling tank will definitely help speed the process up, but once you add fish to a tank that's cycling luck and/or frequent water changes will be necessary to keep the fish alive.

Also, if the nitrites are currently off the charts as you say, then you probably need to do far more than a 50% water change before adding fish. Nitrites are very toxic to aquatic animals, and 1/2 way off the charts is probably still far too high of levels to be safe for fish.

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
That's what I figured, I'll probably just a few 50% water changes and see what the parameters look like. I'll try to get the nitrites to 0 before I put anything (including the seeded filter media) in.

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
I would suggest adding dosages from those condensed bacterial bottles for aquariums, add some to the filter too. Go with heavy dosages at first, sounds like there is more ammonia yet to be released from the sand

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, I'm going to wait. I'll probably put some of the established filter media in tonight, and see if I can feed the bacteria on top of that.

Regarding the bacteria you can buy; I've always been told to stay away from it as a way to cycle a tank. Any suggestions on a brand?

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
I guess using this along with seeded media can't hurt, right?

As far as feeding the bacteria goes, is there anywhere that sells pure ammonia or should I just add fish food flakes and let them degrade?

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store