Now Defunct Aquatronics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
For those of you who don't know, Aquatronics is going out of business. As most of you know, I work at a Pet Store and bring my work into this forum far too often. So one more time can't hurt.

Now that we are running out of Aquatronic's Spectrogram and Ampicellex Products, (and robbed other area stores of their supplies as well,) I was wondering if anyone has any replacement ideas. I don't use either but from what I understand they are both broad-spectrum, so I was thinking Maraycn and Maraycn-2 but was hoping that one of you has been caught in the same situation and has found something that works better/ as well.

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Did not know that. They had a lot of good products with good info on how to use them.

At the store I worked, we used Furan-2 with good results for most of our problems.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Furan-2 is also an Aquatronics product, however...

Personally I believe part of the reason they went out of business was because of Mardel, who's products, in my experience, are more effective and a lot more well-known.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
For a regular broad spectrum antibiotic, I'd go with Maracyn Plus - alleviates the need for Maracyn I AND II.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by Leopardess
For a regular broad spectrum antibiotic, I'd go with Maracyn Plus - alleviates the need for Maracyn I AND II.
While I completely agree that Maracyn Plus is a great med. (in fact I use at the store quite often) I disagree that it replaces Maracyn 1 and 2. Only for the reason that Plus is a VERY wide spectrum med. The two main ingredients are Sulfadimidine and trimethoprin.

While in Maracyn 1 the main med is erythromycin (EM) and Maracyn 2 has Minocycline as its main med.

All three are great but each med also has its strengths in treating certain diseases that the others are not as good at.
Example is EM is great when the fish has bad cloudy eye. It tends to cure it faster than the Maracyn plus.
I also find that when it comes to Septicemia Maracyn 2 does a much more effective job than Maracyn plus.

Like I said they all have their strengths. I would recommend keeping all three around.

As for replacement meds. Aquarium Pharmacuticals should be able to replace any of the meds you are no longer to get. They carry just about everything sulfa, tetracycline and furan-2 as well.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Hmm...I have never seen that AP version...I am positive that Aquatronics makes Furan-2 but I guess, well something happened.

Still...would just keeping those three Marayn's (plus Mardel's Tetracycline, etc,) around do the trick? Or should I bring in some AP?

Remember, I'm specifically looking to replace the Spectrogram and Ampecillex, along with the Oxygen tablets, (I haven't seen these any where else.)

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Meds

Rocketman:

Funny thing.
After reading and responding to your post I was in work and found out that Kordon is now defunct. They were one of our main suppliers of Aquaflavin (sp?) Methylene Blue, Formalin, Malachite green etc...

I guess that all the little guys are on their way out.

As for the meds.
If it was just up to me and it isn't I would keep the following.
The maracyn's 1, 2, plus
Ap general cure ( has metro in it)
tetracycline
Maroxy
formalin
aquaflavin (sp?)
Kanacyn
super sulfa

Then the basics and ich remedy of your choice (malachite green, quick cure etc) A fugus med of your choice (meth blue fungus cure etc..) and melafix only because people buy it and swear it works. I'm still not fully convinced it does everything it says it does however. With the exception of healing minor cuts faster.

After that everything should be covered. IMO.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Ha thanks Scott.

AND big thanks for the Kordon heads up. I'll be sure to order some extra if I can still get it in.

I was thinging about the same mix of meds that you listed, however we have to carry much more in addition or else "corporate" will flip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store