Now what? (for those of us who didn't know about "cycling" beforehand) (Long!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Awestralian

Awesome...
May 22, 2003
Sydney, Australia
au.geocities.com
Ive never fishless cycled freshwater tanks either.
Ive never lost a fish in the 'cycling' period - nor did they ever look stressed or unhealthy - quiet the opposite actually.
I have never dumped heaps of fish in straight away though, i always stocked slowly - 2-4 fish (depending on size) weekly or even fortnightly.
Good water changes, and keeping an eye on the PH is all ive found neccessary IME.

fishdude

so i says to the guy....
Jun 11, 2003
winchester VA
Visit site
I'll bet you filled up the tank, turned on the pumps, lights, and heaters, and let the water age for a day, just to be on the safe side, then bought fish to go into your wonderful new toy, right?

Now you've gotten curious as to why you're losing fish. So you've gone online, since all the answers to all the questions are on the internet, and stumbled upon this great little forum. Then you read about this thing called "fishless cycling" that everyone seems to be so big on, all the time thinking, "well, that's great, but I've already got fish, so how do I do that now?".....
BY: Pinballqueen

Thats exactly what I did! And now I am trying to save the rest of my fish from dying (if you want details see my thread NEED HELP!)

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Originally posted by Mgamer20o0
when adding the water do you put the cleaning chems in? i dont think you add the cleaning chems when the cycle is complet. but what about before?
what "cleaning chems" are you talking about?

do you mean the dechlorinator that is added to the water being added to the tank or to the tank before or as the water is being added.

Read the lable of the product, some suggest to add to water before adding to the tank... particularly when trating for chloramines I think. Others say works instantly. when in doubt contact the manufacturer, some have internet sites and email contact info.

micheline905

AC Members
Jun 28, 2003
western North Carolina
Visit site
green tank

Some weeks ago my tank was so-o-o-o green, you couldn't see you hand in it. I had some GIANT Jag cichlids living in it. Then, all of a sudden-within 48 hours-the tank turned crystal clear and has been that way ever since. What do you think the change was? Any takers!?

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
When you find out let me know...

My water isnt very green, but it does have a tint to it...

Im trying to reduce the amount of light it gets.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Add it before cycling.... the chlorine may kill your beneficial bacteria.... defeating the purpose of the cycle.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
you can add the dechlor before you cycle or you could just let the fill it up, turn everything on and let it go for a day to let the water age, then add your seeding material and start the cycle. ive also asked about adding dechlor at the water changes and people have said yes to it. i guess the adding of chlorinated water to the cycled tank can reek havoc on the bacteria, and fish.

GoLdFiSh_GrL

Aquarius
Aug 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.xanga.com
Hi! um, I have a 29gal. tank whcih I set up 2 days ago, and the water is conditioned and ready to go. I did a sample test and all tests showed 100% perfect. I consulted some people to see if this was actual cycling, and they said no. so, now i'm coming here to ask "how do I actually start cycling?" that's the only bad thing about this post, because it doesn't EXACTLY tell you how to start your cycle. Just a thought. Can you help me? This is my 1st time cycling because I didn't cycle my 200gal. with my oscars inside... and they're perfectly fine right now... :confused: Well, so can I please get help?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store