O.K. purchased vacuum. Now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
To make my vacuuming easy to start I start it with a baster. A couple squeezes at the smaller end and there you go. Chinese algae eaters are ok but sometimes when they get bigger they will suck off the slime coat of other fish. And can get aggressive. Make sure you give it a varied diet.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I feed my zebra loaches Hikari Sinking Wafers. They're very small -- as wide as an aspirin and thin. The ones I have contain fish meal and shrimp in addition to the vegetable matter, so you might want to see if there is a vegetarian version. I've noticed the redtail rasbora (only) will take hits while they're sinking and try to steal them once they soften up.

As for the vacuum. I fill up the tube at the sink. I hold the bucket end up as high as the tap and fill up the vac end. I need lift it up a few times to clear the counter. Repeat 2 or 3 times until the hose but not the vac is full. Cap bucket end with thumb. Over at tank side I put the vac end into the tank, letting it fill with tankwater, and lower the bucket end into the bucket (release thumb). Instant siphon, no pumps, no lips.

WetMan man seems to think that light vacuuming is better than heavy vacuuming. This is not the majority opinion by any stretch. Since light vacuuming seems more practical in my humble and moderately planted tank with the sand substrate, I keep the vac head just above the surface so that the the crap and refuse get pulled up and away. I don't do the same full vac that most people seem to prefer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store