Oase Biomaster Filter Media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
I'm going to be running a couple of Oase Biomaster Thermo 350s on a new tank. Disassembling the filters now and it seems it might be a good idea to replace some of the sponges with more biomedia. I mean, I realize the sponges also act as biomedia, but with all those sponges and only one basket of "noodles" (do they still call them that?) it seems flow might get restricted quickly. I was thinking of keeping the top two sponges (one coarse, one fine) and then filling the bottom three baskets with their plastic biomedia. Anyone else here use these filters and have any input here?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I haven't kept up on different make/models of filters lately, but that oase is a new one to me. Had to look it up. A little beyond my pay grade in terms of cost. I've never spent beyond $100 for any canister or HOB.

I'd gear the type and staging of the media to my stocking level. On my 4 stage canister, I keep two trays loaded with sponge and the other two with noodles, balls and seachem matrix. I only need to open and clean my canisters every 6 months.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That Oase looks nice with a built in heater. In my canisters I do pretty much like Freshy does. I haven't used plastic media (do you mean hollow balls?). Mostly I just use 2 grades of sponges, ceramics & sometimes finer batting type polyester or floss that clogs pretty fast. Like Joel, I like to be able to wait quite a while before I clean my canisters, it's a PITA. I also use prefilter sponges over the intakes to catch a lot of the "bigger debris". Those generally need to be rinsed & squeezed (a lot!) in running tap water every 2 weeks or so, much easier than cleaning the canister.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store