odd fish behavior - angel and rainbow ladies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kkifer

the one with the soggy cuffs
Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
I had a pair of angels and a pair of rainbows for quite awhile with no issues. Both males have died. Lately, the female rainbow has been ... well, take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpFlTOlly5c&feature=youtu.be

This goes on constantly now. I don't know if it's aggression, or some kind of "mating" thing (it reminds me of how Mr. Angel would get whenever Mrs. Angel was about to lay eggs). She hasn't laid any eggs that I've seen since Mr. Angel died.

This is a 55 gal community tank, and the only other fish are 2 cories, 1 plecostomus and 3 frogs.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Are you sure your rainbow is a girl?

That looks like the flashing/display behavior my rainbows used to do.. either way, the rainbow's not trying to hurt her. I bet adding another rainbow or two would make it stop. The angel doesn't seem stressed by it- maybe mildly annoyed, but I can see how over time it could get irritating

kkifer

the one with the soggy cuffs
Apr 2, 2005
Oregon
It's been awhile, but I'm sure the rainbow that died was the more colorful one, which would be the male, right? This one is sure showing her best colors now though. I don't know what prompted this change of attitude. I suppose I could add another rainbow, though I like the angels better. Maybe a second angel would change the dynamic.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I think the rainbow might be a male too... Maybe the male that died was the dominant male, and now that he's gone, this other male can color up now? I think rainbows like to be in schools, that is how I keep mine. Maybe he is just a lonely boy... :)

wren

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Needs friends. It looks as thought it is trying to figure out if the angel will school, definitely not aggression. Huge rainbow by the way!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
kk, that is a nice big beauty of a rainbow and angel!

Yeah, the RB is all like.. "how YOU doin'?' to the angel. Like rufi says, prolly misses some more of his/her kind.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^word, brah. The angel is submitting then realizing they can be friends.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store