Oddball Ideas For 10 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ANudibranch08

AC Members
May 12, 2021
So I set up a tank about two months ago, planning on doing some kind of oddball, but I don't know what to do now. I love shrimp and am planning on putting some in, but I'm not sure yet. Also, I've already looked into a lot of oddballs but most only can be in a 20 gal plus. I know about peacock gudgeons and dwarf puffers but I already have both so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for cool oddball fish (preferably peaceful). Thanks! P.S. here's the tank

C947F70B-339E-420A-A0C3-41ED0AAE1905.jpg

Reactions: dudley

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
So I set up a tank about two months ago, planning on doing some kind of oddball, but I don't know what to do now. I love shrimp and am planning on putting some in, but I'm not sure yet. Also, I've already looked into a lot of oddballs but most only can be in a 20 gal plus. I know about peacock gudgeons and dwarf puffers but I already have both so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for cool oddball fish (preferably peaceful). Thanks! P.S. here's the tank

View attachment 229898
I’m not 100% sure if a 10g is big enough, but I think a wild type betta would work, they kind of remind me of tiny snakeheads.

Reactions: ANudibranch08

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think some are small enough to go in there.

Maybe you could think about pipefish?

You should maybe mention budget and how advanced an aquarist you are too.

Reactions: FishAddict74

ANudibranch08

AC Members
May 12, 2021
Sorry to mention that. I am a seasoned aquarist with about 7 years in the hobby now, and for all the fish in willing to go up to around $100. I absolutely love pipefish but they eat daphnia right? Do you know any info/threads about breeding daphnia? I’ve never actually done it before but I would love to try it. I’ve also heard pipefish are extremely sensitive to o water quality, true?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, sensitive to water quality, and will only eat live food (as far as I am aware.. maybe frozen over time) Daphnia are not too difficult to culture or you can just collect them. Feed them phytoplankton or yeast or something and they will multiply.. or you can hatch and raise brine shrimp or numerous other things.

I would suggest passing on them until you have proved to yourself that you can sustainably raise/keep live food for them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool looking setup, but as you know, you'll be very limited on stocking. Maybe scarlet badis. celestial pearl danios.

You're different colored substrates are going to mix once you've got critters in there.

ANudibranch08

AC Members
May 12, 2021
I'm not familiar with the term "oddball" it seems to refer to rare fish, if so, what do you think of Trochilocharax ornatus? Would they enter your tank without problems, or Tucanoichthys tucano? They are rare nano fish too.
I just looked at Tucanoichthys tucano and I really like them. Never heard of "Toucan Tetras" before but they look nice. How many could I put in a ten gallon?

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I just looked at Tucanoichthys tucano and I really like them. Never heard of "Toucan Tetras" before but they look nice. How many could I put in a ten gallon?
I'm sure 12-15 fish would be fine in your tank, the problem is getting them, I've always chased them but I live in Mexico, here it's twice or triple difficult to get them.

Reactions: DoyleBartoletti
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store