OhNo123's Betta Breeding Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
Thanks for the comments! I haven't been updating awhile.. but here's a basic update:

I didn't prepare well enough for this breeding. I made the mistake of not feeding baby brine shrimp at all and only feeding microworms and bananaworms. Because of this, I'm assuming that the full grown bettas will be without ventral fins (fins beneath the gills). Also after I got a chance, I was able to count the entire batch of fry.. which only added to about 25-30. I also made another mistake by trying to feed them frozen bbs (which they don't eat) and hikari first bites. They did not eat any of this. So I polluted their tank and was forced to do a 25% water change to remove the dirty food.

The combination of water changing (which you aren't suppose to do for the first few weeks) and the feeding of the uneatened food caused them to starve or stress. Therefore, the weaker ones died out quickly. After I realized that I had made a mistake, I started feeding the live worms. The other survivors quickly consumed these. However, not all the bettas knew what these worms were so some also did not eat these. Those starved unfortunately.

Finally, of the remaining 7-8 are still alive. Some of the fry are dark bodied and others are light bodied. The majority of the them are dark bodied I believe. Another mistake I made was breeding the female I chose. After breeding the pair, I isolated the female and after a month, she started to color up more indicating that she was still very young. Also, the other light colored bodied female also colored up and she has ice blue fins with a marbled body. The dark bodied female hasn't really changed at all so she is probably matured.

The seller I got these from did not indicate their age so I did not know. The mated mother died recently due to fish tuberculosis I believe. I will mate the male again with the other light-bodied female again at the end of august.

So in the grow up tank, I some cherry shrimp in there as a cleanup crew for their uneaten food. They seem to get along so everything is fine. The largest fry are approximately 1 cm from head to fin. One is dark bodied with red-ice blue-ish fins. I can't really tell. The other is light bodied and the fins are kind of light too.

I'm unable to take pictures; I'm in Taiwan for 2 months. All my fish are under my brother's care. He knows how to feed the live worms to the fry, but hatching bbs is a bit complex and I do not want to bother him with that task.

So... basically, expect me to RAOK at least one of these bettas by late august.The reason for this is because they are not show quality. They are deformed physically (lacking ventral fins). However, genetically they are perfectly fine. That means their offspring, if fed the right diet, will still have ventral fins.

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
@Windy:

You are correct, the tank is barebottom. This makes it easier for the male to spot the eggs that fall from his nest. However, it is not a 10g, but rather a 6.6 gallon. As for the stuff I have inside, I used a sponge filter, indian almond leaf, taiwan moss, wood with java fern, and heater. The taiwan moss and java fern served as hiding spots for the female when the male chased after her. The indian almond is suppose to induce breeding by mimicing their natural environment (brown colored water). It is also suppose to strengthen the male's bubble nest and remove impurities.

I changed around the cube again to serve as a recovery tank for the male. It only has a heater, a small HOB filter, an anubias nana plant, some manzanita wood, and an indian almond leaf.

I swap out the indian almond leaves in both tanks once every 2-3 weeks because fungus starts to grow on the leaves after a period of time.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Sorry to hear the other female died. But I'm sure you will have better luck this time when you breed the male and the light colored female together. Good Luck.

I <3 my fish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're right, he looks similar to mine! Where did you get your females? I haven't found many that aren't veiltails...

santiago

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Casselberry, Florida
Beautiful males and females! Hope your fry are still doing well! and next time you try and breed them, you should feed the pair that your mating bloodworms for a few days, I have had better spawns when I feed them bloodworms and the female get nice and fat full of eggs like its about to explode!

I <3 my fish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When do you get back? I'd love to see updates for the fry.

mjlicari

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2010
NYC
You probably already got a bunch of responses, but we started using Attison Betta Spa and it makes a huge difference on the bubble nest. Also we thought the idea of using a Styrofoam cup cut lengthwise was silly, because we thought our males made really nice nests but IT WORKS! It also protects the nest somewhat during all the jostling during the mating process. With our males, some are naturals at building nests and others needed to practice.

I wanted to buy some worm and eel cultures, where did you end up getting them? What else did you feed the fry? How did it go?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store