Olive Nerite out of the water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
if all your nerites leave the water, it's a good sign that your nitrate levels have spiked, or some other imbalance they don't like.
It was only one of them and they take turns getting on that same rock eating the algae off of it. The rock was covered in it now its looking great because of them lol. They go in and out of the water all the time, I think it's because of the way my tank is setup. Tested water and it came back good.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
some nerites leave the water to explore, regardless of water quality. just make sure you have a tight lid on there. I had one climb out of a small hole and fall and crack itself open and die. The others only go out of the water for a little while, I don't bother them when they do that as long as they stay in the tank. Nerites typically hang out on the rocks during low tide so it is normal behavior for them.

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
some nerites leave the water to explore, regardless of water quality. just make sure you have a tight lid on there. I had one climb out of a small hole and fall and crack itself open and die. The others only go out of the water for a little while, I don't bother them when they do that as long as they stay in the tank. Nerites typically hang out on the rocks during low tide so it is normal behavior for them.

Great thanks for the info Reframer! :thumbsup:

apolloobserved

AC Members
Mar 27, 2010
SF Bay area (East Bay)
Have u tested ur water?

I have my Olive Netrites in a brackish aquarium and my freshwater aquarium. They cruise up to the top of the aquarium and never leave. Have u checked ur ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels?

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I came to realize they are just cruising around the tank. My water is fine they are just exploring and eating stuff they find on the rocks/wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store