Omg Glow In The Dark Fish!-what The?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lolliemck

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Greater Atlanta, Georgia
Real Name
Laura
Dude, I don't know. How do you think we got 100s of breds of dogs? People have been selectively breeding for forever. I totally want to get one of these in every color for my little display tank :)

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
I don't want to read every page of this thread but I don't like it when scientists genetically alter animals. I understand when its done for medical research but not just for profit. Those fish are genetically crossed with a jelly fish.
Just not necessary.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
I don't want to read every page of this thread but I don't like it when scientists genetically alter animals. I understand when its done for medical research but not just for profit. Those fish are genetically crossed with a jelly fish.
Just not necessary.
GloFish®fluorescent fish are beautiful and unique fish that were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. It was only recently that scientists realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research. They are safe for the environment and make wonderful pets for new hobbyists and experienced enthusiasts alike. To help address some common curiosities about GloFish®fluorescent fish, please visit our About GloFish® page. For more in depth scientific information, please click the links below to find information on the following topics:
From the glofish website.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
Thats all and good that they were bred for scientific purposes but maybe they should be kept in the scientific community not the aquarium hobby.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
maybe they should be kept in the scientific community not the aquarium hobby.
I agree. But this was their intention at first until they seem to have gotten the idea of spreading the experiments around the trade.

Last edited:

ashley_wv2005

AC Members
May 20, 2007
West Virginia
They have them here at Wal-Mart and I think they are only like $2 or $3.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
PETA would say that.:eek:
Yep, it's all subjective.

Why are glo-fish wrong to introduce into the hobby? There are more dangerous fish to sell to hobbyists, as far as the risk of them getting put in natural waters.

Once they were developed, the genie wasn't going back in the bottle.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
Yep, it's all subjective.

Why are glo-fish wrong to introduce into the hobby? There are more dangerous fish to sell to hobbyists, as far as the risk of them getting put in natural waters.

Once they were developed, the genie wasn't going back in the bottle.
I agree that there are many things wrong with the hobby as a whole but why does it have to get worse before getting better? Look, glowfish are genetically altered so maybe they live normal lives and maybe its not as bad as fish tattooing or fish painting but with those fish in the hobby why let one more unnatural fish into the hobby when we should be trying to get rid of the sick things that are already going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store