one convict with other fish in a 20gal tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rudelou55

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
i'm going to get a 20 gallon tank from one of my friends and i really want cichlids and i was thinking of getting maybe one convict as the centerpiece of my tank and maybe a few other fish is that possible?

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Not even close in a tank that size. Convicts get BIG, as well as JD's and Oscars. Were talking 55G minimum for that fish alone-there are people that will tell you thats too small as soon as the morning rolls around and they check. Deffinatley consider smaller fish. The only cichlids that a 20 MAY be suitable for are rams and shelldwellers (check profiles on this site, very useful)

managuense

AC Members
Apr 15, 2003
oro
www.kbcichlid.bravepages.com
woooooooooo convicts do not get "BIG" they are stalky but not big.Doviis are big and jags and devils and buttis, peacock bass. Convicts are extremely aggressive and a 20 gallon would be nice for one convict or even a breeding pair. I wouldnt put anything in there unless its a pleco or food! A convict would screw another cichlid up it's size in a 20 g. convicts can get 6 inches but that is kinda rare. they usually stay around 4 inches.
kyle :clap:
rudelou55 said:
i'm going to get a 20 gallon tank from one of my friends and i really want cichlids and i was thinking of getting maybe one convict as the centerpiece of my tank and maybe a few other fish is that possible?

goldentiff

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
A breeding pair of convicts need at very minimum 25g. But you better be ready for thousands of little fry if you get a pair.

Although convicts are considered the "Bar brawlers" and are usually very aggressive (NEVER put two males together unless its 100g or more otherwise be prepared for a death) you sometimes get a mildly aggressive one.

My convict is mildly aggressive and only to fish that are smaller then him (he is the exception not the rule) the other convict I had would bully everyone including the cichlids.

managuense

AC Members
Apr 15, 2003
oro
ive had many convicts breed in my 10 g! :thm:
kyle
goldentiff said:
A breeding pair of convicts need at very minimum 25g. But you better be ready for thousands of little fry if you get a pair.

Although convicts are considered the "Bar brawlers" and are usually very aggressive (NEVER put two males together unless its 100g or more otherwise be prepared for a death) you sometimes get a mildly aggressive one.

My convict is mildly aggressive and only to fish that are smaller then him (he is the exception not the rule) the other convict I had would bully everyone including the cichlids.

Pleco Bill

Fish are friends ,not food!
Apr 9, 2006
boston,ma
20 gallon is fine...

I have had juiveniles, convicts, sevrums,and small oskars together in tanks,
I find that how you add fish together is very important, do not add around the convict add fish together at same time before teritory is established, I recently
had 2 convicts a small oscar,and a gold sevrum, and they did fine together keep in mind that convicts breed like rabbits, and that you may need to upgrade to a t
least a 40 gallon at some point...

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yea a 20 will be fine for a convict, and maybe a small pleco, but anything else will probably get killed by the con, i dunno what kind of crack branflake has been smoking but cons get a max of 6, and most times not a full 6. JDs get about 10 MAX and oscars can get up to around 14. so check yourself before you make yourself look dumb. IMO

managuense

AC Members
Apr 15, 2003
oro
your are a smart man! he must of been high on some arowanna! :joe:
kyle :clap:
Tightdog1 said:
yea a 20 will be fine for a convict, and maybe a small pleco, but anything else will probably get killed by the con, i dunno what kind of crack branflake has been smoking but cons get a max of 6, and most times not a full 6. JDs get about 10 MAX and oscars can get up to around 14. so check yourself before you make yourself look dumb. IMO

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
I keep convicts that have grown up togeather, 4 olders, and 5 of their young in a 35 and they are just fine, some pushing and nudging and the very rare fin nipping but other then that they dont really bother each other.

I re-arage the tank every so often to keep them from establishing territories.]

I am really glad i decided to get these fish, they are very hardy and have great personalities.(also have tons of fry which i am able to sell to the LFS for moeny or trade for others things :) ).

seveland

AC Members
Oct 25, 2005
get a female convict, they stay smaller then the males and are generally prettier anyway, and you could add a few other small fish too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store