opinions on Petco live-rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
yes this one has the best fish department I've personally seen in any big box store (and I've seen some HORRIBLE ones) I always perfer to support local stores I was just weighing the fact that it actually looked good and is a lot more convienent...so can any of you suggest a good online source? I figured this would be a good debate lol!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Again, I'm not trying to be negative What is cost per pound on Petco LR?

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The Petco here has LR, but it is not real rock. it is the manmade stuff that is tinted to appear as though it is covered in coralline. I wouldn't get it if that is the stuff they have at your location.

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
severum mama the price is $20 for a pretty big chunk, it actualy looks ok and has some algea on it. they have managed to keep quite a few corals and fish alive (and shock ok looking) for the 4 weeks I've been here and keeping an eye on them...but I'm still not sure about it.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
My worry would be that they put copper in the water. I've discussed this with the employee's and they have admitted to doing so. Your probably safer if your Petco has crustacean (that are alive) and that are in the same water system as the live rock.

Still, scary. I'd rather order and cure my own.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Booo! don't get your rock at Petco, it is horrible rock with no hitchikers and they charge a lot for crappy rock :(

I got mine at Premium Aquatics fully cured, great service and great price and they don't kill you on the shipping

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Liverock

Sea Life Inc. in Tavanier, Fl. also has great L/R you will def see some die off but the rock is spectacular and has lots of hitch hikers :)

http://www.sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
The petcos within a 50-60 mi. radius of Atlanta GA get their lr and livestock from the same place a lot of the local privately owned stores do, and I'd guess it's the same way for a lot of other chain and privately owned stores in other cities and states. When big box and m&p stores get stock from the same vendor, it's luck of the draw w/ which specimens are sent out combined with the kind of care given by employees at pet stores that determines the state and quality of livestock you see at any lfs. If no store around you is offering quality lr, then I agree that an online store would be a good place to acquire lr from.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store