Options for 5 gallon column?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
I have a 5 gallon (8" x 8" x 18") tall column aquarium that's just been sitting around.

Is there anything I can do with this besides a guppy or two, or would I be better off just putting it back into storage or getting rid of it?

We currently have a betta that is housed in a 3L tank. Could he go in here with some shrimp, or is this aquarium too tall for him?

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That 5gal would be good for a betta, a mystery snail, a shrimp or two and maybe a low-light plant. 8"x8" is a tiny foot-print.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That largely depends on your betta's personality. Some bettas tolerate neighbors better than others.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
worst case scenario: the betta gets a healthy snack. it's worth a shot :thm:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I keep hearing bettas will make shrimp cocktail out of 'em, but I've had 2 different male bettas in my little 10gal and both have ignored their ghost shrimp tank mates. I've got ~12 ghosties in the 10gal with a betta and 4 zebra danios.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
if ghost shrimp don't work out, try amano. they're a bit bigger

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
The betta will like that tank. The betta will like the shrimp--either as friends or as food. Some bettas are shrimp friendly, some are not. If you want fancy expensive shrimp, I recommend you do a test with cheap ghost shrimp first. If they survive, then your betta does well with shrimp. Also, some bettas do well with mystery snails (p. diffusa), others do not. Some will eat their tentacles and harass them so they are afraid to eat--bad for the snail. Others will ignore the snail, or make friends with him/her. So, if you put a snail in there, keep an eye on it and make sure it comes out to eat etc.

Emily

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I think that tank would look neat with some tall branches and lots of RCS. Maybe a betta too. Definitely the shrimp and some moss.

wren

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Dwarf crayfish or other inverts would work well, something that would actually climb a branch and take advantage of the height.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If i were you, id get a nice piece of driftwood, some moss, and shrimp! I was skeptical of shrimp at first but they are quite entertaining to watch. Even more so then my fish

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store