Oranda turning black

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Butters.rocks

AC Members
Apr 9, 2021
My oranda, Juliet, is red and black with white on her belly and a bit on her her face. She has beautiful blueish hazel eyes and is very social and sifts through sand and follows my hand around the aquarium. She's a juvenile still and I got her because she had a heart shaped marking on her side. The heart was orange and it was surrounded by black. I loved it but assumed the black would fade away and she'd turn completely orange. However I just noticed that unlike yesterday, her heart is hardly there anymore but instead of it being because the black faded away, it is because the black is spreading. Because she's originally mostly black with some red I assume this is a normal color change? No ammonia and I did start feeding more protein and I have the ph at an exact 7. Is Juliet okay?

Butters.rocks

AC Members
Apr 9, 2021
My oranda, Juliet, is red and black with white on her belly and a bit on her her face. She has beautiful blueish hazel eyes and is very social and sifts through sand and follows my hand around the aquarium. She's a juvenile still and I got her because she had a heart shaped marking on her side. The heart was orange and it was surrounded by black. I loved it but assumed the black would fade away and she'd turn completely orange. However I just noticed that unlike yesterday, her heart is hardly there anymore but instead of it being because the black faded away, it is because the black is spreading. Because she's originally mostly black with some red I assume this is a normal color change? No ammonia and I did start feeding more protein and I have the ph at an exact 7. Is Juliet okay?
*Edit*
Before
Screenshot_20210409-055110.png
After
IMG_20210409_055615_306.jpg

IMG_20210409_055625_408.jpg

IMG_20210409_055511_649.jpg

Attachments

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
She looks bit bigger than this on photos, I guess its a mind trick LOL. Its not good that all are zero, you should have been getting some nitrates and also this is a good indicator that the tank is not cycled. I guess T TwoTankAmin or someone else could tell you more about the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle your tank. Also, goldfishes get huge, even those lil fancy ones will get to a cantaloupe size. Goldfishes are more of a pond fish IMO than a tank fish. They are very messy too, poop after poop! And they are very social creatures too! IMO you would need a 4-5ft tank to house 3-4 of them, this can be a hyperbole to others but it is already known that toxins (ammonia and nitrite) from pooping and respiration will cause a rise in those toxins, however the toxin rise in bigger tanks is slower so therefore better chance for fish not get poisoned or harmed in any other way, or in some more serious cases, pass away.
You can read more on goldfish size here.
There is no commonly known disease in fish to cause them to change their colour. And given her size, she is still young and growing and she should get more colours depending what here genes are so I would say its her natural colouration. She is beautiful!

Also, welcome to the forum and I hope you are satisfied with my answer! :)

Butters.rocks

AC Members
Apr 9, 2021
I've had nitrates and nitrites. I also had an ammonia spike about 2 months ago when I was cycling the tank. I had a couple female bettas from my sorority to have poop and food in the tank to cycle it. I also tested it after a water change. I don't usually test it before water changes because I have scheduled water changes to avoid spikes. I am very familiar with the nitrogen cycle, I wasn't familiar with it the first year of owning fish and I'm shocked all my fish were healthy (beginners luck I guess?) but I studied hard last year because I had a friend lose all her fish because due to lack of maintenance and I am very attached to mine and couldn't imagine losing any of them due to my negligence. It's why I'm confused about my sweet Juliet. I've been trying really hard to give my goldies everything they need and I know the black usually turns to orange and that it's not normal for orange to turn black. But it's like the original black is spreading. Idk. She's my first Oranda

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Oh goodies! Im glad you are familiar with the nitrogen cycle :) When was the last time you did a water change and how much have you changed? You really should have been getting some nitrates, even in a cycled tank. Unless you did recently a big big water change or you have something to remove those. I would say its her genetics with all the black spreading and she is alright :)

Butters.rocks

AC Members
Apr 9, 2021
I did a water change yesterday 80%. I don't do big water changes often, usually the most is 75% and the normal is 25-50% once to twice a week depending on if they're getting veggies or bloodworms/brine shrimp that week.

Butters.rocks

AC Members
Apr 9, 2021
How long do you think she'll last in a 20L? She is about 2½ inches, I measured against the glass. She does look bigger because I zoomed in to get the markings clearly. Also thank you so much for responding!! I am very appreciative ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store