Ordered a NEW FILTER!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't have the room to run both filters on the tank. I have to remove the Whisper 10i and put the Marineland on the tank. I put decor into the tank months ago from my 37g, so there is a bunch of BB in the tank. I worry that floating the 10i filter media in the tank and I doubt it'll fit into the new filter. I get the new filter in a few days.
Floating the media in the tank is virtually useless. You'll be better served to place the media in the media bay (ideally *with* the new filter's media) of the new filter, or, possibly between the output and biowheel (I'm not a fan, but my issues with biowheels could just be because of how hard my water is here) so that the water flows over it. If you *must* float the established media, at least do it as close to where the water returns to the tank as possible, to get *some* flow through it. If those aren't options (running both filters is best, but not always viable) then you'll probably have some kind of cycle. Just keep an eye out, as you may have to perform an "extra" water change or two.

Well, just had a thought that may work. If you clean the established filter media in the tank near the intake for the filter, some of the BB may make its way into the new media via the detritus that comes off. If you were to try that, I'd do it slowly, so more of it makes it into the intake, and less falls to the bottom of the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think everyone is mistaken about where the good bacteria is. It is located "Mostly" where there is high water movement and O2 (media, BIO wheel, ect.).
There is some on the tank walls, decor, ect. But most is where there is lots of flow (filter media). Floating the old media in the tank is useless.
Tanker, I'm with you, but on a well established tank, I've seen where people have completely swapped out the filters with no ill-effects. There was enough BB on the tank's hardscape to carry on as usual.

My point is; Everyone's mileage will vary based on tank size, stocking, condition, maintenance, etc.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tanker, I'm with you, but on a well established tank, I've seen where people have completely swapped out the filters with no ill-effects. There was enough BB on the tank's hardscape to carry on as usual.

My point is; Everyone's mileage will vary based on tank size, stocking, condition, maintenance, etc.
I too have seen this, but could be because they have good plants too.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I did a water change on my tank. Kinda over heated the tank to 80+ nearly killing the betta, put him in a 3g and he's fine now. Once I add the new filter,, a few days after its all set up.. water change. Fun.. yay.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
80+ is not too high for a betta. I use to breed them at 84 degrees.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
My filter came in today, i set it up on the tank, after removing the old. I tried putting the old media for the old filter but the bio-wheel wouldn't spin. This filter has a strong flow. Is there any way to slow it down?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store