Ordering saltwater fish online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yes, I've ordered from foster and smith and was pleased with the service and how they packed my critters etc.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I've ordered from liveaquaria (dr foster & smith) as well. happy with their customer service, speed, and the livestock as well as live rock. It's also a better guarantee than I can get at any LFS that I know of.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
The good thing about ordering online is the guarantees that you don't often get from your fish store. A bit of a safety net for that occasional fish that refuses to eat.

I've ordered from Marine Depot Live, and Saltwaterfish.com and been happy with both. I had two green chromis die during the shipping of one of my swf.com orders, but they quickly issued a credit.

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
Did you have to pay to ship the fish back to the salwaterfish.com place? I've been looking at that site and it offers a much better guarantee than most lfs and they offer such a wide variety of fish and invertebrates. It seems like they actually care about the fish and their health too.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
You don't have to ship them back, you can just salt the item, put it in a ziplock bag, and mail it back. Depending on the item, it isn't going to cost you much at all.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I purchased from live aquaria before and had fish die. I did have to call up twice however to get my issue fixed. First time the guy told me my tank had the wrong requirements for reef (he didn't know anything), but the 2nd time the woman on the phone was extremely nice and got me my money back for the 3 fish that died (out of 4) and for shipping. I was impressed and would order again. If you get the idiot that doesn't know anything, call up again and get someone else. He tried to tell me 1.025sg, 8.2-8.3ph, and having nitrates of <5 was horrible. Yea, right, and his supervisor agreed with him.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
I purchased from live aquaria before and had fish die. I did have to call up twice however to get my issue fixed. First time the guy told me my tank had the wrong requirements for reef (he didn't know anything), but the 2nd time the woman on the phone was extremely nice and got me my money back for the 3 fish that died (out of 4) and for shipping. I was impressed and would order again. If you get the idiot that doesn't know anything, call up again and get someone else. He tried to tell me 1.025sg, 8.2-8.3ph, and having nitrates of <5 was horrible. Yea, right, and his supervisor agreed with him.
It's sad that things like that happen but its just the luck of the draw now-a-days. Glad that the second result was much more pleasant. They don't realize that a bad experience like that can cost them in referal business. I guess when companies are as large as they are they can risk it.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Did you point them in the direction of their own good sw parameters page???

In fact here is the link next time they try that one..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=352

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store