Oscar fish breeding Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rajss

Registered Member
Sep 29, 2019
Hi Team,

Kindly help me with the oscar fish breading.

1. how to identify oscar male, female
2. What is the reqired tank capacity.
3. Is it ok to leave the parent and fry in the same tank.
4. how often oscar fish bread.
5. i heard most of the fishes from shops are sterilized. is it true
6. if above is true, then can i got small oscar fish and grow them in group of 5, and wait for them to mature

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've never done it, so this is second or third hand information at best, but oscars don't exhibit sexual dimorphism so there's no good way to tell the males and females apart. Typically in cases like that you start with a group (say 6....hope you have a large tank!) and wait for two of them to pair off. You can then remove the pair and try to get them breeding successfully. I wouldn't try breeding a pair of oscars in anything less than a 90gal tank. I have no idea what kind of parents oscars are, but I know they can be messy fish thet require a lot of filtration and water movement. For that reason it would likely be easier to move the eggs or fry into a separate tank so you can keep a gentler flow and do more, smaller water changes to maintain water quality.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Observation of the sexual organs/openings is the most direct way. And even then, they may not be compatible in the long run.

Kish

AC Members
Oct 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Had a pair of Blue Acaras breeding in my old tank - I understand they breed in exactly the same manner as Oscars. I wouldn't bother sexing them - venting is hard. They'll form pairs and then you know.

As for how often they breed, mine were prolific and it was a continuous cycle...I couldn't get them to stop. All they need is a flat surface - a rock is perfect but they'll dig and use the glass at the bottom of your tank if that's not available. I'd recommend putting a net over the filter intake so no fry get sucked in (they're not strong swimmers straight after hatching).

With mine, you'd start to see the male chasing the female around, some digging activity and then they'd lay their eggs on a flat rock and take turns fanning them. The adults share the workload and would be very protective, defending their territory aggressively. After hatching, the parents would put the young fry in a shallow hole. The fry would stay low in the hole (swarming around the parent). One or both of the adults would be with the fry at all times. If any fry moved too far away, the parents would suck them up and spit them back where they wanted them (very cute). As the fry grew, they got more confident and started swimming higher and moving away from the parents/hole. The parents continued to be protective for some time but, as soon as the fry became independent, they'd start eating them. In a tank with lots of hiding spaces, some wile fry might survive but not too many.

Within a week or two, the parents would be back at it again, laying eggs and digging holes. Of course, I imagine water conditions, stress, etc. would be a big factor in determining if/when they breed... Mine were really by themselves and had good conditions, so just never stopped.

If you want the fry to live, you just need to separate them early and raise them in a separate tank. I'd usually get them out as soon as they started becoming independent and swimming higher up and away from their hole. You will literally get hundreds - I had several tanks full of them. Do not try putting young fry in a mesh basket in the same tank as the parents; I learned that the hard way. The parents got distressed and tried to suck them out through the mesh to move them back to their hole, killing all the fry in the process. Definitely put them in a separate tank and feed them a fine fry food. They're easy to take care of and grow fast.

Oscars are sometimes sterile...but I think a lot of people assume it because fish in the wrong conditions won't breed. Get the conditions right and then you'll know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store