Oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
I've been looking up big fish that would do fine by themselves for a 55g tank. From what I read a oscar would do fine but Its preferred for them to be in a 75g. Would 1 be fine in a 55g and if not what large-ish fish would do well in a 55g by themselves.

I would get a bigger tank but I literally do not have the room in my house for anything larger than a 55g. (also sorry for posting so much Im doing alot of research on so many fish and online sites seem so contradictive)

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Okay nearly every where I go says that 75g is ideal but they are fine in a 55g.

what large-sih fish would you recommend that can go in a 55g by themselves.

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
I feel stupid just looked up tank dimensions and I should be able to fit a 90g tank in my room if barley so. Would a oscar be fine in a 90g? A 90g would be way in the future since they are expensive.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Severum?

Ya know, with tank size & big fish you can find people online who have done darn near anything...I often wonder if their fish are stunted... how often they change enough water & how long their fish live. Do they ever check water quality?

I believe Joel (FreshyFresh) keeps an oscar in a 90g (?) but he changes 80-90% of the tank's volume every week...Maybe he'll chime in with better info. I know he know's it's not an ideal...& we should shoot for the best!

JoBroCo

AC Members
Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Do you have a preferred severum for me with a quick glance red spot severums look the best. From what I read ima stay away from oscars for awhile since they would grow way to fast for me so even If i got 1 to grow i n55g while its young I wouldn't have the time to go up to a 100g or something similar. I was honestly surprised how fast oscars grow.

CrunchyLobster123

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Yea a single Oscar in a 90 gallon would be fine just make sure that you have ALOT of filtration a since they are very messy fish, if you start it in a 55 be prepared to upgrade soon because they grow QUICK. Back when I had my 2 old oscars which I got when they were around 3 inches, would be measured every month my biggest one at one point had almost grown over 2 inches in a single month.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The 90gal is still a 48" x 18" footprint I assume. Like said, still not ideal for an oscar or a severum IMO and this is coming from someone who keeps an oscar and green sev in a 75g.

Can you keep a single oscar by themselves in a 55 or 75? You sure can, but with the 55g you have to consider the oscar won't be able to turn around without rubbing the glass. Maintaining low nitrates can also be a problem with a single oscar in a 55gal and might require more than one huge water change per week. This is with feeding quality pellet foods and feeding very lightly.

My oscar is what I'd call medium sized and can only swim ~5 body lengths in a 75gal. My green sev is huge and fat. He (or she?) may be able to swim 6 body lengths.

Best case scenario you have a 6ft tank for an oscar.

Reactions: fishorama

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
There are dozens of cichlid species available with interesting colors and behavior that stay smaller, and could be comfortably kept with a couple or even a whole bunch in a 55 or 90 and then there is space for rocks, plants, wood instead of an almost bare tank. I would encourage you to take a look on the different options instead of going for the most well known/popular type that is really only suited to monster tanks. Ohio Fish Rescue has a bunch of oscars in the 14 to 16" range. Not all of them get that big but you don't know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store