Oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gaurang

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
India
Visit site
Is it advicable to keep Ocsar with my current collection:

Molly
Platty
Guppies
Koi
Angles
Tigers Barbs
Rosy Barbs

My tank size is 10 gals.......

Please let me know as soon as possible......:D

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
Negative. A very small oscar is too small for that tank and would eat anything small enough to fit in it's mouth.

Check out the species profile here for great information on oscars. Here's the link...
AC Oscar Info.

They are super fish with personalities better than some humans. But you need a large tank.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
Originally posted by gaurang

Molly
Platty
Guppies
Koi
Angles
Tigers Barbs
Rosy Barbs

My tank size is 10 gals.......

Please let me know as soon as possible......:D
all that in the same tank?

I agree with Firefighter, the oscar wouldn't do good in a small tank like that, let alone those tankmates.

you do have a few problems with your setup though. first is the amount of fish in your tank. at mature sizes (assuming they get there), your tank is going to be extremely overstocked. the koi alone is going to get up to 18" and should not be kept in tanks IMHO.

second, you have tropical and coldwater fish coexisting. that can only lead to problems down the line with whichever fish is in the wrong conditions.

my advice would be to find a suitable home for the koi (a large pond) and get a larger tank (30 gallon or larger would be great) for your fish. check garage sales, I regular see 50 gallon tanks (with stand, lights, filter and accessories) for less than $50. just keep an eye out and force yourself to wake up early on saturday mornings! ;)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Actually, I can see the koi and angels making snacks of some of the livebearers as well. It is almost a rule for fish that if a smaller fish can fit in their mouth, then they will eat it.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
10 gallons?

thats like 1 foot i dont even think u should have the mollies and angles i say save up and get a bigger tank ill give u a 2 foot if u what to come pick it up

EagerAqua

AC Members
Jan 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I have seen an oscar get to 12 inches- not a lot of swimming room if you have a 10 gallon that measures about 12 inches long.

Eager

JH

AC Members
Sep 11, 1998
Your current setup:
Molly
Platty
Guppies
Koi
Angles
Tigers Barbs
Rosy Barbs

YIKES!! I agree with everyone else. The angel 6 inches easy not counting fins. The Koi can actually reach 36 inches and are not suited for aquarium life they would be much happier in a pond setting. Another problem is the koi is a coldwater fish prefer cooler temps than the other fish in the tank. The tiger barbs can become fin nippers (if they haven't already) and eat the poor angels fins.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by gaurang

Molly
Platty
Guppies
Koi
Angles