Oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paulio122370

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi, i got 2 oscars about 8 days ago and one is laying sideways at the bottom and wont hardly eat, however it does get up and swim occasionally, but lays on the bottom more than swims,, any suggestions , tested water its fine

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What are the dimensions and gallons of the tank? What else is in with them? Oscars can be real drama queens and can do what you describe for days if not longer if something is stressing them. It can be something major or minor.

Reason I ask about the tank size is I am an oscar keeper as well. I've kept an oscar and a green severum together (just the pair) for going on 8yrs now in a 48"x18", 75gal tank. This is really not enough tank for a single oscar by themselves.

I can maintain very low nitrates by feeding lightly with quality feeds and doing one weekly 80-90% water change.

Paulio122370

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi, i got 2 oscars about 8 days ago and one is laying sideways at the bottom and wont hardly eat, however it does get up and swim occasionally, but lays on the bottom more than swims,, any suggestions , tested water its fine
What are the dimensions and gallons of the tank? What else is in with them? Oscars can be real drama queens and can do what you describe for days if not longer if something is stressing them. It can be something major or minor.

Reason I ask about the tank size is I am an oscar keeper as well. I've kept an oscar and a green severum together (just the pair) for going on 8yrs now in a 48"x18", 75gal tank. This is really not enough tank for a single oscar by themselves.

I can maintain very low nitrates by feeding lightly with quality feeds and doing one weekly 80-90% water change.
It is a 75 gallon , they are youths though only about 2 inches long, there is also a catfish, but like i said all are juviniles, so thinking tank size not the issue, one min hes swimming then hes on the bottom again for about 1-2 hours, when he swims its not very long,

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If his/her coloring is good, eyes are bright and the fish is eating. It could just be pouting as oscars tend to do in new environments or when something in or out of the tank changes. I know of someone in the hobby who moved (or placed?) a big painting on the wall, directly across from his oscar tank. His oscar did the pathetic one eye up for a week.

Like said, a 4ft 75gal tank isn't enough for 2 adult sized oscars. Could you make it work? Sure, but it's going to take extra care, water changes, minimal/no decor.

This is an older pic of my oscar/severum 75. I no longer have the lower tank setup. Not a lot of space to swim and my fish are smaller sized. These guys were under 2" when I put them in together. Super tiny.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store