oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I plan on getting two oscars by Christmas. I have a 55 gallon tank and I know it's going to be too small. I'm probably going to exchange it for a different tank. What I need to know is what would be the minimum size tank for 2 adult oscars? I was thinking of an 80 gallon tank because of the room I have know, but I am up for any other suggestions.

Zeb

Ingredients: 90% water
Feb 6, 2002
Bozeman, MT
You'll probably get a few different answers.

In my opinion, I'd say a long 100 gallon tank should be the size to go for.

I work at a fish shop, and the guy who runs it is pretty knowledgable. He says a base 50 gallon of water to deal with an oscars size, and 30 gallons for each oscar. So in a 100 gallon, He'd say a max of 3 oscars.

I still say 2. They're messy and can get 16".....

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
Alot of people will tell you a 75g minimum.
My daughter had two oscars in a 75, it didn't work out but it has for others.

I had 3 in a 125g, it also didn't work. I now have two and they get along great.

Some will tell you it depends on the fish and whether they grow up together as juvies, etc.

More is always better. So go as big as you can but no smaller than a 75g. You might get lucky and they get along fine.

Oscars get large (I doubt 16", no offense Zeb ) 12"-13" and they are messy eaters and what goes in must come out, so you get the picture. So you want plenty of filteration.

Good luck with your new fish and enjoy! :)

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
My luck with Oscars has always been keeping them in pairs. For some reason I see alot of people with 3. Almost always the 3rd O is in bad shape. Once a pair forms Oscars are nasty towards their own kind.

A 75 may work. I would think a 5' 120 would be minimum for a pair. If you can, get a 6' tank. 6's can be as small as 100g, although I haven't seen any that small for a while.

I would think Oscars would get about 14" in a tank that size. The National Aquarium in DC run by the Dept. of Commerce has an 18"+ Oscar. No lie there. My guess it is 10 + years old. haha it probaly has a little to do with the monster tank it lives in. Terrible condition though IMO, HITH all over.

ttl

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
thanks for the replies. i think i need two AC 500 to do the job. i already got one from my 55g tank that i'm gonna be shutting down for the 80g tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store