oster shells

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
assuming you mean oyster shells, I don't see how. Unless your water is already extremely high in total dissolved solids (TDS), which is to say minerals, and you want it to be softer. In that case I would not put shells of any sort in the tank. but if your water is soft and you'd like it to be harder, shells are great. they slowly dissolve the minerals into the water.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sorry, that last line is baffling.

Oyster shells may change your water conditions. They will increase the kh of your water, and raise the pH slightly--but only if you start with a low kh/pH.

The shells do not dissolve anything.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the shells, depending on current water (kh,gh) will eventually errode releasing any minerals(usually calcium)..this will change the chemistry some.

again.. how much is relative to current kh and gh

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Don't oyster shells only release a tiny bit of minerals into the water? I read an article where some one used them in his tank and tested the water regularly and they didn't put out much calcium or other minerals and he concluded that they were pretty insufficient for changing water quality. I wish I had a link to what I read... Sorry.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but could some one tell me what is the most effective substance for raising kh and hardness? Aragonite sand? Crushed coral? Something else? (I mean less expensive than Caribsea African cichlid substates).

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Well it all depends on a million factors and if your water is saturated then no it will never leech into water significantly.
I don't mean to hijack your thread but could some one tell me what is the most effective substance for raising kh and hardness? Aragonite sand? Crushed coral? Something else? (I mean less expensive than Caribsea African cichlid substates).
Rock salt.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Well it all depends on a million factors and if your water is saturated then no it will never leech into water significantly.
Saturated meaning... Already containing a good amount of minerals?

Rock salt.
I don't understand how. Isn't rock salt sodium chloride? Isn't KH reflecting amount of carbonates? And GH reflecting how much calcium and magnesium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store