Otocinclus Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
An Overview of the Otocinclus Catfish

By Blue_Ram

Not that long ago, maybe 3 weeks ago, I was contemplating whether I should get some otocinclus, for my 10-gallon aquarium. I heard from various people that the otocinclus is a very good algae eater. Back then, I had some very luscious and soft algae growing all over the rocks, artificial plants, gravel, glass, intake tube and pretty much everywhere in the tank. I decided that I would do some research on the otocinclus to give me the information I needed to be able to ensure that I have a good food source, the right kind of habitat and all the right things that an otocinclus needs.

I went to the Internet first for some information where I learned a lot. In this article, my learning experiences down the road will be covered.

Firstly, I learned that the otocinclus has been given numerous number of names. This includes names such as the oto, otto and algae eater. Otocinclus can reach a maximum of 2 inches and has a typical bottom feeder shape. They prefer a heavily planted aquarium with water that is slightly acidic to slightly alkaline and slightly soft to slightly hard water. They thrive in water maintained at a temperature between 68-79 degrees Fahrenheit. They are best kept in a group of four or more.

There are some cases where otocinclus often die within the first month of being introduced to the aquarium. It is widely believed stress is involved from the manner of catching them in the wild and how they are transported. It must be remembered that fish are often caught in large numbers and most do not make it to the supplier. In a few days, they are again repacked and then transported to dealers until they reach the buyer’s tank. The whole process brings tremendous stress to the fish thus the mortality rate is unsurprisingly high.

Before even purchasing these fish, make sure the tank has finished cycling phase and the water quality is up to par. When purchasing an otocinclus, ask the store manager for details how they have been doing and examine them making sure they are in good health condition.

An issue worth mentioning when it comes to otocinclus is that they may likely get caught in the netting. Do not attempt to pull the fish free. Either let it free itself or carefully cut away at the netting.

Otocinclus will not normally accept flake food or meat based foods. They are herbivorous fish that prefer to eat solely on algae. The amount of algae that the otocinclus need must be constantly supplied. There are few types of algae involved that an otocinclus cannot consume which includes the blue-green algae (better known as cyanobacteria) and green spot algae.

I have learned that the trick to a constant supply of algae is obtaining rocks that are safe for aquarium use. Place them in a container with water which is then placed under strong lighting or even better, direct sunlight. In a few weeks, algae will start to form on the surface of the rock. You can then place a few rocks in the tank and once all algae is eaten, return the rocks into the container and replace with more algae covered rocks.

There are foods however that can compensate for the lack of algae supply. This involves peas, cucumber, lettuce, zucchini and plenty other vegetable matter. Preparation of vegetable matter is done in many ways. They can be blanched in a microwave oven in a bowl of water for a minute or so. Place the food into the aquarium by tying, weighing or using a clip specially designed for this matter. Leave it for a few hours afterwards. If the otocinclus refuses to eat, the food must be removed. Repeat again in a few days until the otocinclus becomes completely accustomed to it.

Breeding involves laying their eggs on plant leaves which may take up to 72 hours to hatch. The fry can accept very fine live foods and green foods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sheilaomp
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store