otocinclus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
As am newbie it is really hard to maintain otocinclus in a planted tank? As it is very sensitive and require good tank condition, please suggest

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The biggest issue keeping otos alive is ensuring they have enough algae/diatoms to eat. When buying them make sure they have nice round bellies. If you see suncken bellies, shop elsewhere.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Completely agree with TwinTank ... very sensitive livestock. I had 4 when I got my first 28 gal planted tank. Oto's were the second live stock to be introduced. One of them died just few weeks after introducing & second one jumped off the tank sometime in the night. The later I introduced 2 more to make the number to 4. Now that the tank is totally matured and with a lot of algae for them, they survive. To be on the safer side I do drop a tropical algae wafers once in 2 days & they seem to enjoy feeding on them.

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
Thanks Team. Introduced 1 pair in 10 gallon tank looks like they are less active and they are still in one place most of the time. Hope they will be normal.

Jul 11, 2019
Otocinclus are easy to keep, just make sure they are eating food other than algae, if they will only eat algae then make sure you have plenty of algae

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
Along with Otocinclus there is one more algae eater in the tank , attached the picture(not sure its name). Please let me know if i have to re-home or it can be with Otocinclus?

Algea_eater.jpg

GuppiesLoveMe

AC Members
Mar 4, 2022
Thanks Team. Introduced 1 pair in 10 gallon tank looks like they are less active and they are still in one place most of the time. Hope they will be normal.
Off the topic of food, make sure your otocinclus have enough room; a 10 gallon tank is way too small if you have other fish in there with them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store