Ottos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by jiggerpolebill
4 otto's cleaned a 110g in under a week? they must have been really hungry!
They most certainly were. The back and sides of the aquarium have been completely cleaned. Now they are working on the plants. (silk) The thing is I have to figure out how to feed them without the silver dollars eating it all before they can get to it.

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
I have the same problem. Whenever I feed my cats and pleco with algae waffer, my silver dollars got the first bite of the waffer. Want to see if anyone has a solution for this.

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by wetmanNY
Veggies. There's a lot about feeding veggies at www.skepticalaquarist.com
I read the article, but what I was hoping to see was someone that had a currently successful way of feeding ottos some type of vegatable matter. I have been trying to feed them spanich, but they seem uninterested. If anyone has any tips on how to feed ottos, please.... post them. Thanks.

wetmanNY

AC Members
They like spinach best when it's softening up. You can move this stage up and eliminate the bacteria by par-boiling it first. I use frozen chopped spinach: "some for me and some for you." Don't salt the boiling water. (I get olive oil on my spinach: they like theirs quite plain.) --The Otos like it even better the third day, when it's looking a little gray and limp. Don't pull it out: let them finish it.

Once Otos know it's spinach, they'll come and get it.

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by wetmanNY
They like spinach best when it's softening up. You can move this stage up and eliminate the bacteria by par-boiling it first. I use frozen chopped spinach: "some for me and some for you." Don't salt the boiling water. (I get olive oil on my spinach: they like theirs quite plain.) --The Otos like it even better the third day, when it's looking a little gray and limp. Don't pull it out: let them finish it.

Once Otos know it's spinach, they'll come and get it.
Cool :D. Thanks.

Thunder

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
To feed algae wafers to fish in an active tank, the best thing to do is to break up the wafer into several smaller pieces. Use maybe two wafers. This should be enough to distract the silver dollars so some pieces fall to the bottom. I have had success in doing this in a tank with 4 silver dollars(3 regular and 1 red-hook), an oscar, a blood parrot, an electric yellow cichilid, and a bunch of convicts.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
my otos will absolutley gorge themselves on zuchinni or red pepper speared on a fork and dropped into the tank for a few days
good luck
:)

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001
South Korea
Visit site
Originally posted by famman
my otos will absolutley gorge themselves on zuchinni or red pepper speared on a fork and dropped into the tank for a few days
good luck
Is that the green or yellow zuchinni?

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
the green, they like cucumber too.

skypx

AC Members
Dec 26, 2001