outdoor pond with copper spillway from bog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcmillenbr

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I have a 1500 gallon pond with koi and goldfish, I also have a 6' x 6' bog that the water from my pond is pumped into and after it filters throught the bog it spills back into the pond. I would like to use a copper sheet formed around treated lumber as a spillway from my bog back to my pond, I have read several articles that say you can and you cant use copper. If I cant use it, is it possible to cover it with lacquer or something so that it wont corrode?
Please help asap.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
why not form it to how you want and cover all the copper in resin? once it's cured, should be pretty dang neutral.

Last edited:

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
what kind of resin are we talking? The kind at craft stores? And do you know how it would hold up to uv rays?
Yeah, the stuff in the big cans. It's cheap enough that you can try a few times to get it how you like it. No clue how it'd hold up outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You can clearcoat it to keep it from oxidizing.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
i'd be concerned about copper corroding and poisoning the water, no?
If it's coated, no. And if you're going to bury it under a layer of resin, why waste the coin on copper? Aluminum covered in resin will look identical to copper covered in resin. Then there's the issue of exactly how much copper will actually dissolve. That's dependent on the pH of the water, higher is safer. And then there's the issue of dilution. What will poison a 250 gal pond might have no effect on a 2500 gal pond. But all this supposition is moot if you simply clearcoat all exposed copper surfaces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store