overflow help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lionsfan09

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I want to make into a reef. I want to use a 29 gallon for the sump filter but the tank is not predrilled. My question is are the HOB overflows a good option do they work good. I also would like to know if anyone can tell me what the best way to build a DIY sump. Ive seen so many different designs I not sure which setup will work best. Thanks for everyones input thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I had 2 reef for years, and they both had over-flow boxes. Forgot the brand, but worked.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Had no problems with my eshopps overflow but you will likely need to make a standpipe to quiet it down (google Hoffer Grurgle Buster) and also want to put a valve (ball or preferably a plastic gate valve) on your return line. The combo of the valve and the HGB has worked very well for me in regards to noise. Many regard the lifereef overflow to be the best which is a similar design to the eshopps but a little better built and more $$.

THe CPR overflows rely/require an aqualifter pump to maintain the siphon which I didn't like when I was picking my overflow out. Just one more piece of equipment and one more piece that can fail. If you setup a siphon overflow correctly, the chances of floods will be lessened.

The sump design is up to you. Assuming you don;t have a lot of room for a big sump under the 29? Are you going to use a skimmer? A fuge? Both? IMO, small fuges really don't do much for nutrient control versus getting a good skimmer but any fuge can help with natural food supply for your tank and added diversity.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I ordered the eshopps overflow box :p I decided with it opposed to drilling since no one around had the bit I needed

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
Yea I love mine! I was going to drill mine when I first set it up then thought of the possible leaking it could cause later down the road!

scomstock

AC Members
Nov 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Steve
Is it necessary to have an overflow and sump if you are going to have a reef ? What if you just keep your water parameters in check with good bio-filtration and regular water changes ?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is it necessary to have an overflow and sump if you are going to have a reef ? What if you just keep your water parameters in check with good bio-filtration and regular water changes ?
Is it necessary?? I think so.

1) A reef needs lots of light--I mean LOTS!! With a overflow box, or bulk-heads, the surface is skimmed so the surface is clear.
2) The sump increases your total water volume, besides having a place to hide your heater, skimmer, ect.
3) An added place to add LR without blocking your display tank. You can even have cheato in the sump for nutrient removal.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Is a sump absolutely necessary? No, not in all cases. As your tank grows though and you want to expand they can really help though. If you go sumpless/skimmerless/refugiumless you just have to realize you will have some limitations. There are lots os successful full reefs out there.

My humble little skimmerless/sumpless tank :)

I actually miss how simple it was :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store