Pacific Treefrog: From Tadpole to Frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
There's not much in AC about frogs and tadpoles, but I got some.

Earlier today, I went to a pond out by a school were I would usually go to look at the wildlife, but today, I took a net, and an empty salsa jar and caught about 20 frog eggs. I'm pretty sure that these are the native Pacific Treefrogs, because they lay eggs in mid to late February. I used to have Pacific Treefrogs when I was 8 or 9 in a 10 gallon aquarium outside and they lasted for about 2-3 years until I lost interest in them and let them go. (Since they were a native species) But now, I have interest in them again and got some.

So here are the spawn now in a salsa jar:

BTW I'll be moving them to a ten gallon tank in my garage Tommorow morning:headbang2: (But should I move it to my Garage, or outside where they can get some sunlight, because it feels like spring here in Oregon.)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The eggs don't look so good, If they don't hatch, I will go down to the pond again in a few weeks to find swimming tadpoles and bring them home. And I am just starting to decorate the tank. (The chlorine had to evaporate)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
UPDATE: It turns out that they all died and never hatched because it looks like mold has covered the eggs. Yo can unsticky if you want. But I will be back with more of them in about 3 weeks but this time, I will bring back tadpoles.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I got some bullfrog eggs while I was camping in central Oregon and instead of being put in a salsa jar, I put them in a tupperware container and when I got home, I immediately put them in the 10G in my backyard. And now, we have made some progress because when I pick up the eggs, they twitch!

The eggs look like embryoes in a C-shaped position and the water tempertature is about 76'F.

I will post pictures in a little bit.

aquapants

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
portland, me
cooool. frog egggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store