Painted Blood Parrots??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
One of my LFS has Blood Parrots that look painted. Don't have any pics, but they have little squares of red / yellow / blue / green on the side, and also bright red around the mouth. It actually looks like someone put lipstick on them.

Anyone ever seen this? Is this some kind of nasty dye injection thing, or is this possible a natural product of genetics?

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
One of my LFS has Blood Parrots that look painted. Don't have any pics, but they have little squares of red / yellow / blue / green on the side, and also bright red around the mouth. It actually looks like someone put lipstick on them.

Anyone ever seen this? Is this some kind of nasty dye injection thing, or is this possible a natural product of genetics?

The blood parrot itself is a fish made from splicing south american cichlid genes together. A vast majority of the blood parrot species is infertile. I have seen the painted parrots before. I would imagine that it is just more messing around with the genes. Hope that helps ya. Either way, both do not occur in the wild naturally

gratleop

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
ahhhhhhh!
that ticks me off so bad

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Yes, exactly like that! :yuck: I've been kind of going back and forth on whether I like this particular LFS -- think I might start steering clear....

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Alot of LFS and chain stores are caring the painted parrots I prefer calling them tattooed parrots seeing how the painted parrots normally refer to the solid purple yellow blue green ect. ones and well these just got tats. Both died but for different effects. I personally dont like any BP. Just not my type of cichlid.

aridd

trouble in the bubbles
Oct 8, 2009
Oregon
looks cool but thats stupid....if you want a toy, get a toy. if you want an animal, get an animal

ive seen those online and i didnt know we even had them in the states, i assumed they were somewhere in asia...

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
BP's are hybrids, not the result of gene splicing like Glofish.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Interesting to see this thread resurrected...I was at this LFS recently and saw that of the 12 or so painted parrots they had, only 1 was left. I wonder if the rest were sold or if they just got sick and passed...?

Still think that painted fish are not for me, but realize it's a little arrogant of me to be judging this place when they've probably been open 30x longer than I've been keeping fish.

I guess you can pick your idiom of choice: "Live and let live.", "Let the buyer beware.", "Different strokes for different folks.", "Judge not that ye be not judged.", etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store