Pair of cichlids for 20g? ... Kribs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

serjuanca888

AC Members
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
I am setting up a planted tank and want to put a pair of cichlids in it. I was thinking Kribs but they come from Africa and for some reason that discouraged me. Would a pair of Kribs do good in a planted aquarium?

katydidit

AC Members
May 28, 2003
South Cali
Visit site
go with the shellies...im getting ready to set up a 7g tank with a trio. the Lamprologus occelatus or lamprologus multifasciatus would be awesome...and you could probably have 3 or 4 breeding pairs in there. heres a couple of links you might find interesting if ya want to know about em:
Multi site:
desktop cichlids

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
They would do just fine, no problem at all, be sure to provide the tank with hiding places like half a coconut shell, or a flower pot, they like that very much. It’s a is a very peaceful cichlid, only during breeding it can become a bit “aggressive”

Is it just because they're coming from Africa that you're discouraged or is there some other reason. :confused:

Jimmy

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
While Kribs are from African, they are NOT to be confused with rift lake African cichlids like you see in tanks of "mixed African cichlids" at the LFS. They're kept just like any other riverine cichlid from South America.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Go for it, they will go well in a 20gal....and if you have a semi or full planted tank they shouldn't tear them apart they are too small...but why are you discouraged by them? they are fully cool and don't need any special attension just the basic's as for all cichlids...

I'd give it my vote

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store