Pair of cichlids for 20g planted? ... Kribs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

serjuanca888

AC Members
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
I am setting up a planted tank and want to put a pair of cichlids in it. I was thinking Kribs but they come from Africa and for some reason that discouraged me. Would a pair of Kribs do good in a planted aquarium?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Check out this site:
http://www.thekrib.com/
a fantastic site for fish and planted tanks.
But Kribs do make a fantastic addition to a planted tank. You could also try Rams and other Dwarf Cichlids from SA. But for a full lowdown on the types of cichlids, i would also post this question in the cichlid forum on this site.

jim

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
I have a pair of Kribs in a 10 gallon, and they have been doing well, and had a batch of fry that I am looking to find homes for. They seem to do well in this setup, but they do dig around a bit and disturb plants that are near their flower-pot shelters. The plants that are located away from the pots are doing fine. I'm sure they would be quite happy in a 20 gallon that has plants in parts of the aquarium.

Sting

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
www.picturetrail.com
I'd go with Rams personally. I have read many stories about Kribs who have killed their mates during the spawning process. Kribs are easier to Sex, which would make finding a definite pari easier, but I would recommend Rams over Kribs.

Overall, I think it depends on your setup though. Kribs will not spawn unless provided a cave-like structure. Rams will spawn on flat rocks or maybe anubias leaves. Think about it though. Sexing Rams is difficult and depends on the specimens, generally, females have more pink on their bellies than males, and the Male's dorsal fins are more pointed than the females.

I like Rams better than Kribs in my opinion, but it's all what you want. Rams are always colorful, active species, and like Kribs, they will readily breed with the right coniditons. Read up on both of the species. www.thekrib.com is a great source for information on the two species! Good luck!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'll kick this over to the Cichlid forum.

I'd encourage you to look at the apistos, though. Wide variety to choose from, and they can be great in a community setup.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
OrionGirl has a good point on the apistos, they work great in like 10g, so they would be even better in a 20g comminity wiith apistos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store