Panda corys won't stop breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amypoo89

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
Wales, UK
Real Name
Amy
So, purely accidentally, my panda corys are breeding like mad. I love the pandas, but soon am going to have an overcrowding issue. Short of rehoming some, (possibly the two larger females -being the only ones that I know are female) is there anything I can do to discourage their randy behaviour?

I had been told by a few fish keeping friends that pandas breeding in an aquarium takes some effort, so who knows how I've managed it ??

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice! Congrats to you!

I kept a dozen or so pandas for a few years in a 55gal planted community setting. I never noticed any eggs.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Im wondering if it would be worth it for you to divide the shoal to two different tanks, keeping males in one and females in another, as long as you can tell anyways.

Amypoo89

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
Wales, UK
Real Name
Amy
I've gone from 5 to over 14 at my last count, (my gourami is fond of the small wrigglys) they're just not stopping ? I've been looking out for the eggs, but have no idea where they're laying.

I'd love to have a second tank, but don't have the funds or the room at the moment, otherwise I would just keep them all and separate the males from females.
My brother could take a few, but only so many as his tank is smaller than mine and close to capacity as it is.

I suppose last resort I could ask my LFS to take some.

Any ideas if there is a minimum size/age for rehoming?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Most i see in stores, besides the pygmy species are usually at least an inch in size, so perhaps that would be a good size to aim for?

Reactions: CichlidFins
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just add some fish which will eat the cory eggs and your problem is solved. Corys often hide eggs to yty to keep them safe. While youi may not be able to see/find them, the fish that want to eat those eggs can and will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store