Paper looking slime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffed76

AC Members
Feb 16, 2019
I don’t know what it is, but I know I don’t like it! Any idea what it is and how to kill it? I’ve been vacuuming it up but it keeps coming back.

Aquarium info: 20 long, 2 tetras, 5 cherry shrimp, and planted (lots of Java moss with som grass slowly starting to grow)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You need to address the cause. There isn't anything that eats it. Manual removal and nutrient control will help, as will adding circulation--it only builds up in low flow areas.

There are lots of 'cures' sold, but many of them have serious impact on your beneficial bacteria. I'd try non-additive options first.

Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to the above advice, what type of lighting and how long do you keep it on?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I battled this stuff in a tank a long time ago for months. I think it must have been something leaching out of whatever substrate I used, but I was vacuuming this crap up every day, cutting way back on feeding, etc. I think eventually I ended up breaking down the tank, cleaning the whole thing and replacing the substrate, which was pretty easy on a 10gal.

As others have said, cut back on food, cut back on your photoperiod, and do lots of water changes and vacuum out as much of that stuff as you can get every time, and eventually you should beat it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
lol 2 tetras and 5 shrimp in a heavily planted 20 G? Test your water, it could easily be lack of nitrates.
No big deal though. Provide proper conditions for the plants, and increase flow and the plants will outcompete it.
Check pH/KH/CO2/NO3/PO4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store