Parasite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
What's up with my ghost shrimp? It has this white line running through out it's entire body. It kind of looks like a worm, but it's (the white line/worm/etc thing) not moving in any manner and hasn't been moving in any manner. Is it a parasite, is my shrimp's insides changing colors, etc? Help!

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
If it is a horse hair worm, it's bad. They normally kill their host once they're done with them. I would isolate that shrimp. The adult worm, once it's out, won't feed, but if there are other adults around, they will lay eggs and then your other shrimp could get infected as well.

As a precaution, I'd probably clean the tank really, really well, including dipping any plants in a bleach solution and looking for anything unusual on the plants. There could be other eggs or larva in there already. Also, keep an eye on and remove any other shrimp you see with that same look. Also, look for any adult worms and remove them ASAP.

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
If it is a horse hair worm, it's bad. They normally kill their host once they're done with them. I would isolate that shrimp. The adult worm, once it's out, won't feed, but if there are other adults around, they will lay eggs and then your other shrimp could get infected as well.

As a precaution, I'd probably clean the tank really, really well, including dipping any plants in a bleach solution and looking for anything unusual on the plants. There could be other eggs or larva in there already. Also, keep an eye on and remove any other shrimp you see with that same look. Also, look for any adult worms and remove them ASAP.
Well, I'll isolate that shrimp (hopefully it's not infected with a parasite) and keep an eye on the others. Thankfully, they're all still in a quarantine tank and not mixed in with anything else yet. I'll keep an eye on the other shrimp for any signs of infection, but aside from that one shrimp nothing new or strange has been spotted in the other shrimp or in the quarantine tank. Hope it stays that way. Thanks!

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
The shrimp is infected with the parasite, there's no doubt about that. I have seen a shrimp "puke" the worm out however I have no idea if the shrimp survived. I suppose the worm has a two part lifestyle and can't infect another shrimp but I'm not sure, it's been years since I took nematology

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Can I treat the shrimp, or is best to just destroy it?

jaylin

Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
The shrimp is infected with the parasite, there's no doubt about that. I have seen a shrimp "puke" the worm out however I have no idea if the shrimp survived. I suppose the worm has a two part lifestyle and can't infect another shrimp but I'm not sure, it's been years since I took nematology
Yes, two part life cycle, but they're not exactly certain if the nematoads eggs are ingested or if the larva are opportunistic and burrow their way in the host. (I tend to think the eggs are injested.) It's on exit that the worm kills it's host. The worms normally aren't "puked" out. They burrow out. After that, the adults are harmless except for their potenial to lay more eggs.

(Took freshwater inverts two years ago ;))

jaylin

Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Can I treat the shrimp, or is best to just destroy it?
I honestly don't know if the shrimp can be treated or not. I know about the worm because I've studied nematoads. But I don't really know a lot about keeping shrimp in a aquarium and how to treat them for things.

I did some google searches last night but didn't come up with anything useful such as if it's treatable and how. Maybe some others have info on that.

But, knowing the life cycle of the worm, I wouldn't want to have the adults around. I'd be afraid they'd reproduce and infect all my shrimp. And those horsehair worms can get huge. They don't get fat, but they can get very, very long. I find them several feet long here in Colorado. I"m pretty sure I wouldn't want one living in my house.

Sorry I can't tell you much more than that.

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Hmm, I think I may just get rid of this last batch of shrimp then (maybe try a few parasite medications prior just to see if it has an effect, but I couldn't find any decent treatment info either). I can always get more to add new genes to my shrimp tank, but now I'm a little paranoid about this last batch that even after quarantine I don't think I'll want to add them. :-\

Hmm, we'll see. Anyway, thanks everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store