Parts of my SPS tissue is dieing. Flatworms maybe? (with pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not sure what your alk was before it dropped to 7 or how quickly it went from point A to point B, but yes a drop in alk certainly be the culprit (especially if the swing happened relatively quickly). 7 is low but IME, SPS can do ok at that level as long as it is stable. Running on the extreme ends of the scale is obviously not ideal but stability seems to be more important than "ideal" parameters. Again, just my experience. The fact that the coral is still alive is a good sign and it should recover assuming there isn't a pest that will do more damage.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
So just a little update. .. besides the coral doing great, I still have a patch of dead tissue.. Strange thing is, the other day I found a blue legged hermit crab on the dead tissue. I figured it was a fluke. I removed it, and the next day it made its way back to the dead tissue. Anyone ever heard of hermits munching on sps tissue?

Even more strange, a day after I removed it (again) I found a few miniature serpant stars covering the area of dead tissue. Now I'm pretty sure those miniature serpant stars don't eat SPS tissue. Any idea of a tiny parasite the miniature serpants and blue legged hermits might eat?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
So they were actually on the tissue or the exposed skeleton that may have had some algae/detritus buildup? I don't know of any pests those guys would eat. Pretty much relegated to the role of scavenger. It would be cool if you found something new!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store