Patio pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flukeone

AC Members
Sep 18, 2019
Hi all

I'm in the process of making a patio pond. the pond will have an internal filter and will hold roughly 10g. it will also have pond plants on one side of the tank and water lettuce floating around

I would like to stock it with some guppies and have 2 questions:
1 Will i require an air pump? there will be some water circulation but not much surface agitation.
and 2 will I require a heater? where I live the coldest nights can chill the water down to 18-20degrees celsius (65f)

flukeone

AC Members
Sep 18, 2019
So water current within the pond will be enough for oxygenation?

This is the future pond. 54cm diameter by 24cm high

IMG_20191112_204535_277.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If you put some submerged aquatic plants in there like guppy grass they'll provide the oxygen. You don't need a filter even if stocked lightly but I see you already got one. If you put the outlet of the filter above the water surface it will do exactly the same as an air pump... it's not about the bubbles but surface agitation.

Reactions: flukeone

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds cool, but a 10gal pond? That's more like a bucket!

I've got a 10gal tank with a mess of guppy grass, guppies, endlers and red cherry shrimp in it. It's tough to keep the population down.

flukeone

AC Members
Sep 18, 2019
Sounds cool, but a 10gal pond? That's more like a bucket!
That's more or less the idea.

Ultimately i can always sell/donate excess guppy or feed my arowana ??

FreshyFresh FreshyFresh what do you do/recommend for population control?

Tbh my first thought was a betta sorority but figured out that's not a good idea

T the loach the pump was in my parts bin so i figured out i might as well use it

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The larger the pond/tank the better. You live in a tropical climate, you don't have to be confined to guppies... most tropical fish will be fine at those temperatures, just make sure they don't grow over 2"/5cm max length. Fish that don't breed so prolific might be easier.

flukeone

AC Members
Sep 18, 2019
What would you recommend?my first idea was a sorority of like 5 bettas, then I thought of guppies because of their size. Also thought about fancy goldfish too

flukeone

AC Members
Sep 18, 2019
Oh and empty volume is 15g but gotta factor in the space the plants and accessories will take

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
There are so many options it has hard to recommend. In general, albino/gold colored fish are easier to see from above. There are platies in about every color now, they will reproduce as well but not as fast as guppies. You could have a look at albino/golden zebra danios or golden barbs. Both are easy to keep and active. If you want something very special (but possibly expensive/hard to get if you're not in the far east) are Medakas. They have some amazing colors now. What I absolutely do not recommend is goldfish, they get way to big, messy and demanding and tropical temperatures are too warm for them. If you want a goldfish like fish that stays small, there are fancy tailed rosy barbs both in red and yellow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store