Patrick's 40 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I got a 40 gallon breeder tank at the dollar per gallon sale. :) The deal I made with my parents was that I would "take down" the 10 and 20 gallon tanks, but the fish and inverts would go into the 40. I will reconsider my electric blue crayfish, which is in the 20. In the 10 gallon I have a few ghost shrimp, an orange creamsickle Molly male, and 4 mosquitofish juveniles. (under an inch) In my 20 I have the crayfish, 4 blackskirt tetras, and a white skirt tetra.

For lighting I have a 48" dual T5HO (108w) that I used in my SW tank, but it has 6500K bulbs in it. I will most likely hang it diagonally.

I have a heater that will work for the 40 already... For filtration I will use my filters that I have already, or a Drs Foster and Smith Filter. For substrate I'll try to get some pool filter sand. Any tips/suggestions? I am open to comments :)

Any stocking suggestions? I want to get some dwarf shrimp for sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yonderway

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
Raleigh
yonderway.com
Real Name
Magnus
I've always wanted a 40 breeder. Closest I ever got was giving one as a gift to my kid brother.

If you want to be a bad influence, feel free to post some photos when it's up and running.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I've always wanted a 40 breeder. Closest I ever got was giving one as a gift to my kid brother.

If you want to be a bad influence, feel free to post some photos when it's up and running.
Sure, it's pretty empty right now :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
in my 29 I have a somewhat similar stock (black skirts and mollies, plus neons and a dwarf gourami). The black skirt school in the mix/upper water very loosely and are always out and about and visible, while the neons stay a bit lower in the water and tend to hang towards the back of the tank, being a little more skittish. the mollies are always eating algae off plant leaves, and add a nice splash of color against the green of the plants (currently I have a blackish/silver balloon male, what looks to be a golden/dalmation mix balloon male, a normal dalmation female, and a normal golden lyretail female). the dwraf gourami, being the only single fish without others of its species, makes for a nice surprise when he decides to come out of the shadows of the plants.

in a 40, I'd do a handful of mollies, a medium sized school of black skirts (enough to keep them docile but not enough to take over the tank), a big school of neons (and I mean big), and then perhaps a centerpiece fish or two (like a dwarf or pearl gourami or some kind of dwarf cichlid), and perhaps a few bottom dwellers (cories or kuhlis would be my choice). then plant the whole thing densely (note: java fern tied to rock and wood makes for a very easy to grow, very green backdrop, and java fern grows lots of yummy algae for hungry mollies to eat).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store