Pea puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

is this a good fish store to go to if they give me this info

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

DeanTheFish

AC Members
Mar 5, 2018
I have a ten gallon and I went to the fish store and they say that
1 I can have ten pea puffers in a ten gallon but I just half to buy them all at once
2 they can have a bare bottom tank
3 they do not require a planted tank
does anyone know how much of this is true

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say it goes against conventional knowledge...

My experience has always been to keep them in highly planted tanks, with lots of plants to break line of sight and to reduce aggression.

Have you tried looking yourself for information regarding their upkeep? Maybe another fish store, or aquadvisor or fish base or seriously fish.. or a different fish store?

My advise is that it will not end well. Especially as they age.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't count on the store for information. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be an ok source for fish, though, since they could be following good practices and just not have well informed employees.

My experience with puffers has been the same as dougall's (literally).

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
The information they gave you is terrible. I kept dwarf puffers for a number of years, and while some of them may survive in a tank as described, they would in no way thrive.

1. these guys are little, but they are intelligent, active and territorial. that many in that small a space WILL end badly.

2. I suppose they can live in a bare-bottom aquarium, but it will not be optimal.

3. They don't "require" a planted tank, but they do need something. these guys are intelligent and curious and will spend a lot of time exploring the tank. Having something that is heavily planted/decorated with lots of crevices and things to check out will help to keep them entertained and -can- help to keep their blood-lust in check.

I kept 5 in a 29 gallon tank that was pretty heavily planted, and there were still some aggression issues from time to time. If you really want to see their personality and natural behaviors come out, give them lots of space and "stuff to do". They are fantastically entertaining little guys.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
2 is not a bad number as long as the environment is complex and gives them a) stuff to explore, and b) territories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store