Peacock breeding question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I never seem to have any luck with getting my peacocks to breed. What is the proper ratio of males to females? I have had luck with my other Africans breeding, but not my peacocks. Does anyone have any info on peacocks and their requirements?

steakman

AC Members
May 16, 2009
My Aulonocara Dragon Blood and Ruby Red peacocks have been breeding sporadically. The ratio is 1 male and 3 females. The females sometimes spit out or swallow their eggs for some reason. Other times they held their fry to term.
I guess that when the stress levels are high, they tend to destroy their eggs.
I have roughly about 4 dragon Blood, 8 Ruby Red, 8 Aulonocara stuartgranti, and 2 males (Sciaenochromis ahli) in a 135 gallon tank.
Overall in 18 months they produce roughly 6-7 litters of 20-30 ea.

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
Peacock Breeding

I have on my Ruby Reds one male to 4 or 5 females. I have to say They are breeding like crazy. I have about 300 or 400 fry at the moment. :evil_lol:

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I have on my Ruby Reds one male to 4 or 5 females. I have to say They are breeding like crazy. I have about 300 or 400 fry at the moment. :evil_lol:
You are so lucky!! I guess I just don't have your luck, lol! :grinyes: I will have to go out and get more female peacocks I know I don't have enough. Is your avitar an ob peacock? I had a pair for quite some time and the male died about a week ago. I think they are an awesome looking fish.

Rollinondubz200

rollinondubz2002
Jan 13, 2009
Southwest Florida
next time u do a water change drop the tank about 5 plus inches and add in a few degrees colder water. that always gets mine to spawn. i think it tricks them into it being rainy season and they start spawning

heislertj

AC Members
Dec 5, 2009
Buffalo NY
Feed them 2x per day, do weekly water changes about 25 to 30 percent, and gradually raise the temperature to 78-80 if it is not that warm now. It is best if they are in their own tank. (my 2 cents)

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
You are so lucky!! I guess I just don't have your luck, lol! :grinyes: I will have to go out and get more female peacocks I know I don't have enough. Is your avitar an ob peacock? I had a pair for quite some time and the male died about a week ago. I think they are an awesome looking fish.
Yes that is an OB Peacock. I have quite of them hehe. 3 huge males and about 25 females and males mixed in one tank.:hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store